is my di-713p dead?

I have been using a dlink di-713p router for several years (5 or so?)
without many problems... but two days ago it stopped working. nothing
has changed with my hardware or software. I wanted to ask the group if
there are any good ways for me to tell if there may be some mystery
configuration issue, or is something in the unit has failed.

I am running windows 98 on a PC hardwired to the unit (port 3). when I
check winicfg, I cannot release the address, and if I attempt to
renew, it responds that the dhcp server is unavailable. If I take the
di-713p out of the loop and go directly to the modem, I can reboot,
release, renew and everything works fine.

Because the system is failing to "find" the di-713p as the default
gateway, I can't get to it to check or reset any of the configuration
via the webpage admin interface. I have tried the reset button on the
unit with no success.

so..... is it dead? how can I tell for sure? anything else I can try
to reset it?

thanks,

Dan

On 15 Oct 2004 07:24:53 -0700, botfood@yahoo.com (dan baker) wrote:

>I have been using a dlink di-713p router for several years (5 or so?)
>without many problems... but two days ago it stopped working. nothing
>has changed with my hardware or software. I wanted to ask the group if
>there are any good ways for me to tell if there may be some mystery
>configuration issue, or is something in the unit has failed.

With only one computer, it's difficult to tell if the failure is in
the router or in your computah.

>I am running windows 98 on a PC hardwired to the unit (port 3). when I
>check winicfg, I cannot release the address, and if I attempt to
>renew, it responds that the dhcp server is unavailable. If I take the
>di-713p out of the loop and go directly to the modem, I can reboot,
>release, renew and everything works fine.

OK, you're not getting a DHCP delivered IP address from the router and
the computah is probably working just fine.

>Because the system is failing to "find" the di-713p as the default
>gateway, I can't get to it to check or reset any of the configuration
>via the webpage admin interface.

Can you get to the router web page? I suspect you can't but the above
description is rather ambiguous and implies that you can.

>I have tried the reset button on the
>unit with no success.
>so..... is it dead? how can I tell for sure? anything else I can try
>to reset it?

Well, you've listed what it DOESN'T do. Perhaps it would be helpful
if you described what it DOES do. For example:
1. Do the light appear to work and flash normally?
2. Does the ethernet cable between the router and your W98PC show a
light on both the router port and on the ethernet card? Bad cable?
3. Any sign of overheating?
4. Is the wall wart putting out its rated voltage? Measure it.

The first thing I would do is try another computah. Find someone with
a laptop and try it. If the laptop doesn't work, then it's certainly
something in the router (or the connecting CAT5 cable). Since your
W98 box will work directly connected to the modem, the laptop will
probably not work, but I wanna be sure it's nothing in the computah.

Since you've already reset the unit, there's no need to preserve
settings. The object of the exercise will therefore be to connect to
the routers default IP address:
http://192.168.0.1
and get to the configuration page. Try setting your W98 box to a
static IP address. Reboot and try to again. Also try to ping the
router and see if that work. If that doesn't work, methinks the
router is dead.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

On 15 Oct 2004 07:24:53 -0700, botfood@yahoo.com (dan baker) wrote:

>I have been using a dlink di-713p router for several years (5 or so?)
>without many problems... but two days ago it stopped working. nothing
>has changed with my hardware or software.

>Because the system is failing to "find" the di-713p as the default
>gateway, I can't get to it to check or reset any of the configuration
>via the webpage admin interface. I have tried the reset button on the
>unit with no success.
>
>so..... is it dead? how can I tell for sure? anything else I can try
>to reset it?

I have one, it occasionally stops responding on the wireless, I have
been able to reset it up till now.

Here is the procedure. You didn't say if when you reset you got the
lights indication it mentions. It's a little tricky.

What is the proper procedure to reset the DI-704, DI-704P, DI-713P,
DI-804HV, and DI-808HV to factory settings?

This reset procedure applies to the following devices:
# DI-704
# DI-704P
# DI-713
# DI-713P
# DI-714P+
# DI-804HV
# DI-808HV

Step 1 Power the unit off by unplugging its power adapter.

Step 2 Insert a paper clip in to the reset pinhole. Press and hold the
reset button with light pressure.

Step 3 Power the device back on by plugging it in. Continue to hold
the reset button.

Step 4 Watch the lights on the front of the gateway. The M1 & M2
should come on solid. When the M1 & M2 begin to blink slowly, release
the reset button.

The unit will reboot itself and should be at factory defaults. If the
M1 light is not blinking about once per second, recycle the power on
the gateway.

If the M1 & M2 continue to blink rapidly, you held the reset button
for too long. Power the device off and repeat the reset procedure.

The default IP address is 192.168.0.1. The default username for our
routers is admin. The password is blank. If your router asks only for
a password, use admin (lower-case).

Here is the procedure to crash recover that unit.
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1109&question=DI-713P%20/%20DI-713%20/%20DI-704P_revA%20/%20DI-704%20/%20DI-704P

I found a fix for my son at the following site.
http://helpdesk.doit.wisc.edu/news.php?id=562&txt=1
ATS

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message news:<bnuvm0ph6g0fia56h6bm2mlvcgevd185gl@4ax.com>...
> On 15 Oct 2004 07:24:53 -0700, botfood@yahoo.com (dan baker) wrote:
>
> With only one computer, it's difficult to tell if the failure is in
> the router or in your computah.
> --------
not the computer, does the same with a laptop

> Can you get to the router web page? I suspect you can't but the above
> description is rather ambiguous and implies that you can.
-----
no I cannot get theya from here...

> 1. Do the light appear to work and flash normally?
-
yes

> 2. Does the ethernet cable between the router and your W98PC show a
> light on both the router port and on the ethernet card? Bad cable?
----
lights good, swapped cable, same results

> 3. Any sign of overheating?
----
no

> 4. Is the wall wart putting out its rated voltage? Measure it.
-----
fine, and running through a filter

> http://192.168.0.1
> and get to the configuration page.
-----
cant find it

Try setting your W98 box to a
> static IP address. Reboot and try to again.
-----
havent tried that... not sure how

Also try to ping the
> router and see if that work. If that doesn't work, methinks the
> router is dead.
-------
cant ping 192.168.01.1, loses all 4 tries

I guess I find it strange that all the lights look good and it has a
heatbeat, but I just cant see it anymore? I never had electronics die
selectively like that before. I guess I am ready to trash it and try
some other brand. I have been underwhelmed with dlink support
anyway....

Maybe not dead. There is a crash recovery firmwre update on their website,
instructions included. It brought mine back to life.