Question Is my EVGA 500 watt 80+ B1 PSU good enough for an MSI RX 580 Armor 4GB

Sep 16, 2019
This is my spec:
Ryzen 3 1200
8GB DDR4
1 TB HD
1 Case fan
Mobo: msi a320m pro-vh plus

The RX 580 has a 500 watt requirement but I'm not too sure if my PSU's rating is good for it.

Sep 16, 2019
500W is recommended as a minimum wattage for an average system.
The PSU you're using is Bronze certified, with about 80% efficiency, meaning that most of the time (when gaming) it will run under heat, that will affect its components.
I'm very confused since I read some other posts before this and saw that the majority of them did say that they should be fine. Is there really that much of a difference between a B1 and a BR PSU?

Sep 16, 2019
Are you talking about the 80+ Bronze EVGA B1 or the 80+ white EVGA W1

In all reality, id doesnt matter as both are well, mediocre to be kind.

They are budget PSUs. You could use an RX580 on them and have no issues. Or as soon as you plug in the RX580 the PSU might fail and kill your GPU and everything else in the system.

Your PSU is the backbone of your PC. Dont cheap out on it.
80+ B1

I'm very confused since I read some other posts before this and saw that the majority of them did say that they should be fine. Is there really that much of a difference between a B1 and a BR PSU?
EVGA makes many 80+ Bronze PSUs.

The EVGA B (B1), EVGA B2, EVGA B3, EVGA BQ, EVGA BT, EVGA BR, and more.

Some are better than others.

I believe I heard the B (sometimes called B1) are corsair VS based. So they are ok, but not a reccomended choice for a 580.

I believe the EVGA BR are dated and group regulated, which is a no-no

Some of these also have a 30c temp rating and sleve bearing fans.

Sep 16, 2019
EVGA makes many 80+ Bronze PSUs.

The EVGA B (B1), EVGA B2, EVGA B3, EVGA BQ, EVGA BT, EVGA BR, and more.

Some are better than others.

I believe I heard the B (sometimes called B1) are corsair VS based. So they are ok, but not a reccomended choice for a 580.

I believe the EVGA BR are dated and group regulated, which is a no-no

Some of these also have a 30c temp rating and sleve bearing fans.
So what does group regulated mean and does that include my PSU? https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00DZ6R9GE/ref=twister_B06VSCT6LW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

Sep 16, 2019
[/QUOTE]
It is a EVGA 500 B1 80+
80+ (white) or 80+ bronze?

All of the b1 i see are 80+ bronze and not just 80+

Can you take a picture of it?
image0.jpg

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
So, I bought this Porsche 911 that needed new tires...I am looking to replace the factory Pirelli tires with Chaoyang, AKS, or Goodride. Can you tell me which is the best of the cheapest to select?
WOULDN'T DO THAT, WOULD YOU?

The RX-580 is a POWER-HUNGRY BEAST of a GPU (especially if you overclock it!) that requires STABLE, CLEAN, RELIABLE, BETTER-THAN-ATX-STANDARD POWER! MINIMUM ATX-spec WHITE and BRONZE PSUs have high ripple, allow for ±5% tolerance (11.4-12.6V on the 12V rail), have limited protection circuitry, may-or-may-not reach and/or sustain their maximum rated output and are usually manufactured by the lowest bidder (read : cut corners / cheap-out).

https://www.techpowerup.com/237767/...lden-samples-of-the-supernova-b3-to-jonnyguru

So, my suggestion, without breaking the bank, is a minimum 650W, Gold, modular or semi-modular PSU (aethetics more than anything, space issues in an HTPC/SFX case) from a reputable manufacturer (SeaSonic, eVGA, Corsair, etc.) with a good (7-year) to better (10-year warranty). SeaSonic is an engineering and manufacturing company, eVGA and Corsair ''outsource''. SO, WHY BUY THE ''GOOD STUFF''? The following PSUs have ±2% DC Rail Regulation, crazy Low Ripple as well as OVP, OCP, OPP, SCP, OTP and Active PFC : SeaSonic FOCUS, FOCUS+ and PRIME Series are all Tier 1, eVGA PQ is OK, G3 and T2 Tier 1 and much better. Corsair RMx, HX, AX, AXi, Gold to Titanium. Not really familiar with Thermaltake or Cooler Master, but they all have Gold-and-better Tier 1 PSUs with good warranties, too!

In many cases, if these Tier 1 PSUs CRATER, and take your expensive system components with them, the companies will cover those, too. These high-end PSUs are their bread-and-butter, so they put their money where their mouth is!!
For less heat, high durability and best efficiency, keep the PSU in the 35%-to-65% range under load (read : gaming). REMEMBER, your PSU is an INVESTMENT, and as such, you need to purchase for the future. Second GPU? More or faster memory? More HDDs? Higher Power CPU? Lights? Fans? AIO? Liquid Cooling with LED lighting? AI with visual sensors, tactile sensory perception and autonomous robotic legs? JK!
So, in conclusion, for peace-of-mind and future-proofing, plan ahead for what you are buying. As I suggested, 650W Gold for the above system and light gaming (2-to-4-hours per day), 750W Gold for moderate-to-heavy gaming (4-hours-to-marathon)...BUT...if you ''PLAN'' on a second GPU, then an 850W-to-1,000W Gold or Platinum. (System @120W + 2xRX-580 @200W ea = 520W). Platinum and/or Titanium will just cut down on your power bill, which, if you have 2GPUs and play 24-hours-a-day, will save you $$!
Good Luck!

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
Efficiency does not equal quality. There are bronze rated units that are quite decent, and are acceptable for such a system. The Corsair CX650m, is quite decent. Yes, there are better units, out there, but budget dictates what someone can afford. I personally run an Evga G2 750w.

I personally use a Corsair CX550m 80+ Bronze and it is great with an RX580, even with an overclocked GPU and CPU. I have even seen my 580 pull over 200w in hw monitor after some overclocking and still the psu didn't seem to mind.

No coil whine and little fan noise heard over my other fans, althouh the psu fan does spin judging by the constantly clogged dust filter on my case.

I would take a cx or cxm over most evga bronze units