Is my EVGA GTX 1060 3GB non-OC registering only 4000Mhz Mem Clock speed on Precision OCX/CPU-Z normal?

Darkness1187

Reputable
Oct 1, 2016
Ok so I have a question. On the website I bought this card from the card Memory Clock speed is listed as 8008Mhz but when use Precision OCX it says I'm running at 4000-4200Mhz. Even CPU-Z says that I'm at 4000. I contacted EVGA and they responded with this.

Hello ********,

The reported RAM speed in many applications will show half of it's rated speed. This is due to the nature of how DDR memory works. It executes two commands per clock cycle, therefore giving it an effective speed of double what the clock rate is. This means that RAM with an effective speed of 8000Mhz will show running at 4000Mhz, etc. There is no issue with this, it is simply how DDR Memory operates.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,
EVGA

So is this really how it is? I mean it makes sense but I would think that programs that are designed to monitor this, would adjust for that, right? I have the card hooked up to my laptop via PE4C mPCIe eGPU setup and asked if this could be the problem. So please let me know if this is normal or if it is not. Thank You.

My System
Dell 17R N7110
Intel Core i5-2450M(soon to be upgraded to an i7-3820QM)
16GB DDR3 PC3L 1600 Samsung Ram
3 750GB HDD & 250GB HDD
EVGA GTX 1060 3GB Single OCX
HP 375W PSU

Solution
Yeah that's normal. DDR stands for double data rate so you have to double the figure shown in the software. It doesn't automatically adjust for the doubling.