Question Is my EVGA PSU supposed to sound like this?

ethan-stets

Prominent
Aug 31, 2020
My old power supply fan started having these bursts of power/speed, so i decided to get a new one since my old one was some crappy chinese psu. My new one, an EVGA GQ 850w, is still doing the same thing as shown in the video provided. It’s not even when it’s under extreme load, but it is only when i’m playing video games. It will do this continuously until i close whatever game is running.

I have a RTX 2080 and a i7-9700K. Is the PSU noise normal or is there any way to fix this? what does it mean?

Video of PSU noise here

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The psu has an "ECO" mode which shuts the fan off under certain temps, guess you are pushing the psu at that starting point. Is a switch that turns this mode off at the back of the psu, maybe having the fan move at all times helps.

Also what case? And how is the psu placed? mean with fan up or downwards.

ethan-stets

Prominent
Aug 31, 2020
The psu has an "ECO" mode which shuts the fan off under certain temps, guess you are pushing the psu at that starting point. Is a switch that turns this mode off at the back of the psu, maybe having the fan move at all times helps.

Also what case? And how is the psu placed? mean with fan up or downwards.
The case im using is the DeepCool MATREXX 70 ADD-RGB 3F. The psu is placed with the fan downwards, and there is a vent under my case for the fan.