Question Is my FrameTime (MS) Good?

ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Hey, so recently I have built a new gaming pc (MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z, I7 10700k, 32 GB 3600 Mhz RAM, 120GB Kingston SSD from my previous pc, 1 TB HDD from my previous pc) and I have read online that after building a pc you have to enter the bios and enable XMP. I downloaded CPU-Z and checked the speed and my ram was not being fully utilized, so I turned on XMP, and indeed when I checked after that I had the exact Speed & Timings that I was advertised. I use MSI Afterburner to monitor my FPS, FrameTime, Temps. I check the Frametime and it seems to be normal but in some games, there are a few lag spikes. Especially games like: Hell let loose, insurgency Sandstorm and similar type games. I have read reviews and for some reason, it seems to be a common thing for such games. In other titles, everything seems to be alright but I just want to double-check that it can't be my hardware's fault since I have an extremely fast and newly released CPU with a very highly rated and powerful GPU & pretty fast RAM (16-19-19-39).

ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
  1. try disabling xmp, and checking if lag spikes persist
  2. if they do, just enable v-sync/g-sync/free-sync
I've asked on a different forum and a guy said that it's totally normal. plus shouldn't enabling XMP improve the frametime and not make it worse? since it makes the ram run at its full speed and when I disable it, it just makes the ram weaker.

ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Disable them, and see if the low frametimes go away.
If they stay, put it back on since its more performance.

and again, if this doenst fix the problem, try enabling free-sync/another adaptive frame thingy
I disabled XMP and I have read online that LOWER ram timings are better than higher Timings. I have checked CPU-Z and I have found out that when I enable XMP it sets my DRAM frequency to 1800 MHZ (which is half of 3600 MHZ which is the speed of my ram) and it sets my timings to 16-19-19-39 (which are my ram timings). BUT when I disable XMP the DRAM Frequency goes from 1800 MHZ to 1066 MHZ & the timings go from 16-19-19-39 to 15-15-15-36. is that good? what should I do? is it normal?
BTW my monitor doesn't support Free-Sync, G-Sync, and other types of this junk.
EDIT: should I disable XMP and adjust the Speed and Timings myself?

I disabled XMP and I have read online that LOWER ram timings are better than higher Timings. I have checked CPU-Z and I have found out that when I enable XMP it sets my DRAM frequency to 1800 MHZ (which is half of 3600 MHZ which is the speed of my ram) and it sets my timings to 16-19-19-39 (which are my ram timings). BUT when I disable XMP the DRAM Frequency goes from 1800 MHZ to 1066 MHZ & the timings go from 16-19-19-39 to 15-15-15-36. is that good? what should I do? is it normal?
BTW my monitor doesn't support Free-Sync, G-Sync, and other types of this junk.
EDIT: should I disable XMP and adjust the Speed and Timings myself?
1800mhz is 3600mhz. its halved in cpu-z
now that you disabled it, check your games, and see if the frame times are still bad.
if they are the same, put xmp back on.

Reactions: anceintsz

ShwaBdudle

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
1800mhz is 3600mhz. its halved in cpu-z
now that you disabled it, check your games, and see if the frame times are still bad.
if they are the same, put xmp back on.
I disabled it but the frame time is the exact same as it is with it on, so I enabled it back on. I'm 100% sure that there isn't an issue since there is nothing wrong with my hardware. i bought the components and built the PC myself so I know that everything from the inside is ok. and the hardware is not weak by any means. when I disabled it I tried launching Gears 5 but it refused to launch even after I enabled it back on, after trying a couple of times I run a 3DMark Time Spy Stress Test (I Run those tests pretty often) to make sure everything was ok. if something was wrong with my frame times or FPS 3DMark would have told me. then after running the test the game launched successfully, I'm 100% that its an Xbox game pass file issue since I had the same thing with rage 2, and after googling it, turns out many people have encountered it. Spikes appear pretty rarely, usually when something is loading or other times when something similar is happening. While playing games the Frametime graph fluctuates because I play with uncapped framerate and the fps is also unstable since its uncapped. when I cap (usually means enabling v-sync) the graph still fluctuates but it doesn't cause any issues at all. so through my analysis there doesn't seem to be an issue (if there is its 100% related to the game, like Hell Let Loose).
EDIT: Does a monitor have any affect on Frametime?. just curious

Last edited: