is my fx 4300 going to bottleneck an r9 380

harry1543

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
So i was thinking about buying an r9 380 and i need to know if there is going to be a bottleneck with my cpu.I am playing games like bf4.

Solution
An FX 8350 would probably be able to keep up with a 380 and it is the same socket motherboard. Keep in mind that some AM3+ motherboards weren't built to handle the extra heat that comes from an 8 core FX model and will end up throttling. Whether you would be affected by that or not depends on what model motherboard you have.

king3pj

Distinguished

Not as much difference as an upgrade but it can't hurt to try since it's free performance. This is assuming that you have decent cooling though. It isn't typically recommend to overclock on the stock cooler.

You don't need to change your CPU. A 4300 is close to balanced with an r9 380 as is. You may not be quite pushing the card to full capacity in CPU-intensive games, but you can get there with a mild-moderate overclock (a $30 investment in an aftermarket cooler)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.44 @ Amazon)

Even if you don't want to overclock, you're not losing much from the card's potential at stock CPU speed, and only in certain games at that.

Cheers!

king3pj

Distinguished
An FX 8350 would probably be able to keep up with a 380 and it is the same socket motherboard. Keep in mind that some AM3+ motherboards weren't built to handle the extra heat that comes from an 8 core FX model and will end up throttling. Whether you would be affected by that or not depends on what model motherboard you have.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS