Is my GeForce II broken???

G

Hiya guys,

I wonder if you could give me a few pointers.

I am running a Hercules Prophet II GTS and have been for about a year. I am an avid TFC/CS player and have recently noticed that FPS has been dropping sharply at various times in the game, hitting below 30 regularly, whereas I usually get 99 all the time.

These times vary and seem to bear no relation, i.e. they could be when there are lots of people in view, when there are wide open spaces or, once even, as I approached the main door on Well with no-one there except me.

System Specs are:

Abit KA7
Classic Athlon 750(900 Core) @ 1Ghz (from OCUK) with a BIG Alpha cooler
2 x 128MB Crucial PC133 CAS 2
Hercules GeForce 2 GTS 64MB
1 x IBM 75GXP 47GB UDMA100
1 x Maxtor 18GB
Soundblaster Live 1024
Asuscom ISDN Card
AOpen FSP300-60GT Powere Supply
Phillips 48x CD ROMZIP Drive
Windows ME (the missus likes Spider Solitaire:-( )

I have tried various things to no avail:

1) Various Detonator versions, 6.47, 7.52 & 112.40

2) VIA 4in1 4.31

3) AGP 4x and 2x

4) DirectX 8.0a (although this happens in both OpenGL and D3D)

5) A format and re-install of WINME

This card has been working fine for about 11 months and now it has gone to pot. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can try to get it to work or of a relaible place that I can send it for testing/repair. I am at my wits end.

Also, when I hit the reset switch on my PC the system does not actually reset. All I get is the HD Access light coming on and staying on. I only mention this in case it points to a mobo fault which could also be the cause of my GeForce probs.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare system to test the card in so any help would be great.

Apologies for the long post but someone help me please.

Dominic Stevens

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Demonic on 06/29/01 10:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

you sure it was not a big lag? probobly not, did you overclock it? my friend did o'clock his and the same thing happened.

pauley

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
this can't hurt........ if you have had the alpha in for a year, take it completely apart and use canned air to remove the dust then wipe out the blades well. also clean the blades of the fans and of the heatsink with a toothbrush. completely disassemble the cooler and clean it thoroughly. remove it from the chip and clean off the dried up thermal paste and re-apply fresh paste using just enough to do the job. I just did this to my alpha cooler and the damn temperature dropped 20 degress F...no shite!! anyhow....less heat equals less problems and i am real sorry you have ME in there. How can you take it? i guess i am jaded i have 98se and i love it. i won't let friends or family install ME if i can help it. kinda like the aol of operating systems............can you say CLOG? i also wonder if you have had ME in there the whole year....i don't know of anyone without problems of some sort related to this os. i build systems for fun and profit and i get lots of feedback..... i hope this helps you

TRENDING THREADS