Question Is my Gigabyte board faulty?

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hi all,

Last February, I built my brother a new rig with an Alder Lake CPU. The specs are as follows:
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3050
  • CPU: i5 12400f
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte H610M-H
  • PSU: Corsair RM650X
  • SSD: Some WD Blue 240G NVMe drive
The very first time I gave it power, it would refuse to POST with five long beeps, indicating a missing monitor even though one was connected. But then it started to randomly work after a few tries, and I thought it'd be fine.

Well, it hasn't been fine at all. My brother has been complaining about random crashes and freezes that would occur occasionally through the year, and since they happened rather rarely, I never caught sight of them to see what it was like. Except until a few days ago when the computer went back to refusing to power on with five long beeps. It seems that it's dead.

My brother needs a computer for work so I transferred his SSD and GPU into mine (I'm surviving with a laptop), which works quite well. It definitely isn't a GPU issue, nor a cable issue, or a monitor issue because I've tried three different ones for all of them.

I've even tried using a different video card (GTX 950) on the problem computer and it still refuses to power on. The memory sticks are fine as well, so I'm fairly confident the mobo is faulty.

I bought a new one and waiting for it, so meanwhile, I went to the dealer I bought the Gigabyte board and asked to make a warranty claim. I was told that I'd need to send the mobo in (at my personal cost) and if it isn't faulty, I'll have to pay a £20 fee to get it back.

My fear is if when I do send it to them, it would start to work again, and I'd have to pay £20 to get back a board that is actually faulty. I'm also slightly paranoid if this is being caused by some component compatibility problem, although I don't know why it would be, since it was working well for the most part.

Any advice?

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hi, already tried all of this, but it didn't really help.

I replaced the board with an MSI one and everything works perfectly, so that board is faulty because it can't detect the GPU (given how it gives me 5 beeps). I already messaged the dealer I got this from and they said that I should sent it to them (at my own cost), additionally, they want a £19.99 test fee if it turns out to be fine.

Obviously, it's not fine, but the motherboard has moods. Sometimes it turns on, sometimes it doesn't, I really don't want to send it there only to for it to be at its good mood.

Maybe I should just junk it, it'll be cheaper that way.