Question Is my Glorious Model O mouse dead?

Maqqnus

Prominent
Apr 18, 2021
Managed to spill my drink on my mouse, which is the light weight kind, full of holes. It didn't die right away. I unplugged it, opened it and cleaned and dried it the best I could. When I plugged it back in the first time everything seemingly worked fine, but when I unplugged it and switched usb port, only the RGB was working; no tracking or clicking.
So is it just simply dead, nothing I can do about it? Why would it work the first time, then die?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Managed to spill my drink on my mouse, which is the light weight kind, full of holes. It didn't die right away. I unplugged it, opened it and cleaned and dried it the best I could. When I plugged it back in the first time everything seemingly worked fine, but when I unplugged it and switched usb port, only the RGB was working; no tracking or clicking.
So is it just simply dead, nothing I can do about it? Why would it work the first time, then die?

Depends how you cleaned it and how well you cleaned it. If it's simply dead, there's not much you can do about it; if a tiny stray drop of moisture moved at some point and connected a couple traces with each other, that's frequently game over.

Maqqnus

Prominent
Apr 18, 2021
Depends how you cleaned it and how well you cleaned it. If it's simply dead, there's not much you can do about it; if a tiny stray drop of moisture moved at some point and connected a couple traces with each other, that's frequently game over.

Appreciate the reply. I didn't really know the best way to go about cleaning it. I tried getting rid of most of the moisture with paper and a q-tip, and also used a gas duster to try and blow out any droplets. If you don't mind explaining, what do you mean by "connected a couple traces"? Also, I just tried plugging it in again; it worked for a bit, then died again. Maybe there's some moisture still in there causing this? I'll probably just leave it overnight and try it again in the morning.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Appreciate the reply. I didn't really know the best way to go about cleaning it. I tried getting rid of most of the moisture with paper and a q-tip, and also used a gas duster to try and blow out any droplets. If you don't mind explaining, what do you mean by "connected a couple traces"? Also, I just tried plugging it in again; it worked for a bit, then died again. Maybe there's some moisture still in there causing this? I'll probably just leave it overnight and try it again in the morning.

Basically, a short circuit.

Unfortunately, you really needed to clean it properly with isopropyl alcohol. Water is actually a terrible conductor of electricity; it's things in the water like salts and minerals. That's why people can run entire systems in aquariums of distilled water with no problems. Even if you dried everything perfectly, a non-water drink will likely leave a lot of things behind after simple drying.

I have to say that now that it's not working, I'm relatively pessimistic that the mouse is salvageable, but it doesn't hurt to try.

D

Deleted member 14196

Mouse is not salvageable. Try but its dead. Fact is ot used to work and then stopped means that it shorted out and it’s dead

I wonder why people have drinks near their computer? Drinks and food belong at the kitchen table not near the computer

Maqqnus

Prominent
Apr 18, 2021
Mouse is not salvageable. Try but its dead. Fact is ot used to work and then stopped means that it shorted out and it’s dead

I wonder why people have drinks near their computer? Drinks and food belong at the kitchen table not near the computer
Basically, a short circuit.

Unfortunately, you really needed to clean it properly with isopropyl alcohol. Water is actually a terrible conductor of electricity; it's things in the water like salts and minerals. That's why people can run entire systems in aquariums of distilled water with no problems. Even if you dried everything perfectly, a non-water drink will likely leave a lot of things behind after simple drying.

I have to say that now that it's not working, I'm relatively pessimistic that the mouse is salvageable, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I see, thanks. Unfortunately didn't have any isopropyl alcohol on hand. The mouse surprisingly seems to be working just fine now though, ever since I plugged it in this morning. Remains to be seen how this affects its long term reliability.

Maqqnus

Prominent
Apr 18, 2021

It has come back to life and seems to be doing just fine now though. Maybe I got lucky and didn't get any moisture on the most vital components.
When you're living on a total of 18 square meters and don't even own a kitchen table, keeping drinks and computers separated can unfortunately be difficult haha.

TRENDING THREADS