Question Is my GPU broken?

Nov 17, 2019
Hello,
I have a Setup with an i7-8700K, GTX 1080ti, 32 GB Trident Z, 1000 Watt Corsair. And the GPU and CPU are water-cooled (the GPU still gets to max 83° but only peaks). Since last week, every time I start a "high res" game I get a black screen. But when I start a "low res" game it works fine, high res = Overwatch, low res= CS GO. I've installed a GTX 1070 and it works fine. But I'm not sure if the GPU is broken or it just doesn't get enough power (because the GTX 1070 logically doesn't need as much power).

Can someone suggest a way to test if it's a GPU or PSU problem?

Ralston18

Titan
Do you have access to another known working GPU that you can install and test with? Or another computer in which to install the current GPU? Determine if the problem stays with the computer or follows the GPU.

You can use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer to observe system performance. Discover what all is running in the background. Maybe disable some unnecessary background apps being launched at startup.

(Note: you may need to download Process Explorer via Microsoft's website.)

Watch what happens or is happening when you start a low res game and then a high res game.

You can do some testing on the PSU if you have a multimeter and know how to use it. (Or know someone who does.)

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a complete test as voltages are being measured while the PSU is not underload. However, an out of spec voltage could be revealing.

ASK THE COMMUNITY