Status
Not open for further replies.

Akshay_38

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017
Hi , i have an old system with msi 970 gaming mother board , with fx-8150 with CM Hyper 212x cooler,and r9 270x vapor-x , using this system since 2014 , (new mobo purchased in 2016) , i just wanna ask one thing that i've fresh installed windows many times but as soon as i install gpu drivers it crashed my windows , not only that i corrupts all the boot records whether i have windows on other drive as well , after crashing none of the startup repair work , only system restore work if i have a restore point that was created before installing amd gpu driver.

Here are the problems i am mentioning to help you understand better-

1.) Windows is freshly installed.
2.) Display works fine only installing drivers and when as soon as i hear 'hardware detect sound' , my windows crash and unable to boot also MBR gets corrupted.
3.) None startup repair works only system restore works that've created before installing amd driver, after restoring that windows boots up again and works fine.
4.) no temps issue on anything (mobo , cpu , gpu)
5.) used that card on new system (ryzen 5600x , msi b550) , everything 's new and same problem happening again (after installing drivers mbr courrupted)
6.) Gpu bios updated.
7.) Don't have any spare GPU except a GT210 (lol) and works fine on both system (drivers installed no issues). (couldn't buy a new one cause you know the Great GPU shortage in 2021)

So i just wanna ask if my graphics card is broken (i am certain it is , cause it's very old using since 7 years almost) then why it is showing the display (with the help of Microsoft basic Display Adapter ) ? Can a gpu be half broken or anyone has faced this problem before ?

Solution
Yeah, dead card. VESA hardware still working so it can display an output, can't initialize the GPU.

R9-270x shouldn't be that hard to replace. What a GTX960?

I'm seeing R9-270x going for sub $100 quite recently on ebay. GTX960 similar pricing as recently as today.

Depending on what you have to spend I do have a pair of GTX980 I was going to list this week. One of them will at least get you gaming again.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, dead card. VESA hardware still working so it can display an output, can't initialize the GPU.

I'm seeing R9-270x going for sub $100 quite recently on ebay. GTX960 similar pricing as recently as today.

Depending on what you have to spend I do have a pair of GTX980 I was going to list this week. One of them will at least get you gaming again.

Reactions: Akshay_38
Solution

Akshay_38

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017

Thanks , that was a relief , hope i will find a used card at a cheap price , i couldn't rightly say as i am searching for something locally as shipping and custom charges would take way more than the card in my country (india) , also if the gpu market cools down i could wait for sometimes to buy a 1660 or 2060

Status
Not open for further replies.