Question Is my GPU busted or is it something else?

MVP Teku

Honorable
Aug 3, 2015
I'll start with my specs:
ASUS ROG Strix 2080
MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X Motherboard
Intel i7 7700k
16GB Corsair Vengeance
EVGA 750 G2 PSU
C: Drive: Samsung Evo Sata SSD
A: Drive: Seagate 4TB HDD
(No overclocks at all, all components are roughly 4-5 years old except the GPU with is about 2 and a half).

So I recently started having issues where every time I would load up a game, within about 30 seconds the game would freeze, my screen would be covered in white squares in kind of a wave pattern and then the game would either CTD or my PC would blue screen. I tried rolling back the drivers, tried hotfixed drivers, reformatted my C: Drive and did a fresh Windows install, swapped the card into a different PCI slot (which actually bought me a day without crashes), and also swapped out the HDMI cables. Eventually I conceded and RMA'd the card.

Anyway, I've had it back for about a week now and it seemed fine at first, but now it's doing similar things. It's not as bad as it was, haven't had a BSoD yet and some games run fine, of the games I tested, only my heavily modded version of Fallout 4 seems to recreate the issue. Majority of the time this time though, it's happened on the initial boot. The only one, maybe two of my 3 monitors turn on and the Windows sign in screen will appear all pixelated with lines across it. It's also happened twice just idling on the desktop when I've gotten up to go work out and left it on or something. A reboot usually fixes it. The RGB on the card also reset itself after the first reboot, if that means anything.

Although today, it happened while I was watching YouTube, so I restarted the system and when it came back on, it was pixelated again. So I restarted it again and this time when I booted it I got a message from my bios screen saying "Repairing C: Drive" or something like that. After it came back on I think I noticed that copying files was pretty slow, and that was actually entirely on my A: Drive, but it's hard to say for sure because I didn't get a good look at the speed before it finished copying so it could've just been placebo and I'm getting 20-30MB/s now.

I've check the GPU temps with RivaTuner, mostly sits around 60 under load, was reaching 65 in Fallout 4, again, never overclocked it.

I was just about to do another build replacing everything but the GPU, PSU and storage drives, so I've got a new case, a Ryzen 5800X, Strix X570-E Motherboard and 16GB of Trident Z RAM sitting right next to me and now I'm thinking I'll buy a new PSU and SSD too, just in case. I'd try running the GPU on a test bench setup with all these new components but I was going to do a custom hardline loop in this build so I don't have a combatable cooler, I could get it running to see if it'll post, but I can't really try games on it because the CPU will likely overheat.

So I just wondering, what seems to be the issue here? Was the GPU just sent back from the RMA still busted? Or is more likely that it's something else entirely, like the motherboard or the PSU since those are both older components? Should I contact ASUS and try to get a replacement card?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JoJo0620 Graphics Cards 0