Question Is My GPU Causing System Crashes?

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Hey guys, I will try and make this as easy to follow as possible as I could really use some assistance.

Issue: Computer is crashing randomly, not during any sort of typical or not typical use. (Intensive Gaming/Browsing Web)
The crash makes the monitors Grey/Black out and will sometimes make a horrible "ehhhhh" type sound. The PC Stays on, and my lights reset to what I would call "Start up" mode where they are in default, but the monitors never show a login page, and the computer does not actually reset.

Prior to the crashing, my USB devices, specifically the corsair devices, only were disconnecting and reconnecting randomly, several times for day.

What I did: After the crashing became very frequent, I re-installed windows thinking it could be an OS problem because of the USB issue.
After re-installing windows I downloaded the most recent AMD GPU Driver, and immediately began getting error codes, and failure codes relating to the amd driver. I can not remember the exact error, but something about a.dll file.

I have not had any USB Disconnecting issue since the WIndows re-install, but my PC Crashed last night again as described above with almost no load, and only 50gb of Downloads in games on the PC.

Temperatures are all cool as a cucumber and GPU is usually between 30-45C

Specs:
  • Aorus Gaming 5 X370
  • Ryzen 1700x
  • Vega 64
  • 16gb DDR4 3200 SC EVGA Memory
  • 960 PRO 512GB M.2
  • 1TB WD Black HDD
  • EVGA 850 BQ PSU
  • Corsair 570x LE White
  • Corsair K70 RapidFire MX Cherry

Thank you very much in advance. The reason I coming here, maybe a bit pre-mature in terms of testing on Hardware (Removing) is I have a pretty intense Cooling Loop inside my PC making that task extremely daunting.

Last edited:
I would download HWInfo and check the voltages next.
You want them never to vary more than 5% from +12, +5 and + 3.3V.
There are "high" and "low" and "current"values that get recorded by HWInfo.
I believe you can also set it up to log to a file that will log right up to a crash.

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Is the system (CPU snd memory) overclocked ? If so, I would try to run it at default speed and check how things go, Don't forget that the highest supported speed for memory with gen1 Ryzen is 2666Mhz. Even if the memory and MB support up to 3200 this doesn't mean the memory controller on the CPU can keep up stably at this speed...

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I can run a Mem test, I have had memory issues in the past and it never caused these types of issues, and almost always came with some sort of error report.

The Memory is running above 2666mhz I know that, and I believe the CPU is Overclocked some, with Full Load Temps around 50C, and Idle around 28C.

Would the speed setting be causing the issue that I am seeing? When I first setup my Ryzen build, Memory issues typically occurred pretty fast after start up.

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Would the speed setting be causing the issue that I am seeing? When I first setup my Ryzen build, Memory issues typically occurred pretty fast after start up.
It could. But it's easy to verufy by putting back everything at stock speed and check if the problems are still there. At least, it will make troubleshooting easier.

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
I have a warning sign next to my Ethernet controller, but thats it. I have a Killer Lan ethernet port that I have not downloaded yet. Idk if thats the issue
Yes, it's just the ethernet driver. Not something that would make the system crash or cause any major problem. Just run the system at stock speed for time and see if the problems are still or not.