Question Is my GPU dead or still Repairable?

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Hi there you beautiful tech community,

Today my ASUS R9 280 DirectCU II TOP 3GB gave up while gaming. Shooting me full screen vertical lines and BUZZ sound. (artifacts they called, I suppose,) and both of my monitors stop giving image.
Had to hard reset my computer.

Now, sometimes it does boot with image, sometimes it does not.

I can still surf the web when it opens up, and watch HD videos. But when I open a game, Vertical Lines > Shutdown.

Can I repair this card for a few more months of lifespan?
I've heard underclocking works but MSI afterburner doesn't really affect the clocks i think I'm entering some invalid values it just ignores my inputs.
I actually have no clue how to underclock though.

FYI : No overclocks done to the card, ever.

FULL SPECS :

OS
: Windows 10 Version 1909
MB : MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
GPU : ASUS R9 280 DirectCU II TOP 3GB GDDR5 384Bit
DRIVES :
XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.3 512GB
2TB WD 7200rpm HDD --->>> mostly all the games are in this drive
1TB WD 7200rpm HDD
CPU : Ryzen 5 1600
RAM : G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3200MHz
PSU : Seasonic FOCUS PLUS 80+ Gold 650W
Two monitors at 60Hz
5 Case Fans
Corsair H60 Liquid cooler

Lutfij

Titan
First off, we're on version 20H2 for Windows 10, so might want to see if updating the OS changes your experience. The other thing you can do is see if you can get into BIOS and observe what BIOS version you're currently on. Cross-reference the BIOS version on MSI's support page, if you have BIOS updates pending, gradually work your way to the latest version.

How old is the PSU in your system? You might want to take the GPU over to a friend or neighbor who owns a higher wattage PSU that's reliably built to see if the GPU works on their end. If it does, then swap out the PSU and see if your system is back in business.

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
How old is the PSU in your system?

Hi Lutfij, thanks for the reply.

All components other than the GPU are only 11 months old. I've tried with the updated OS, no change. And BIOS Version seems up to date.
I've recently got an RM850x, swapped my Seasonic with it, Tried running the GPU, It boots up fine, but can't open a game or stresstest the GPU.
It shoots me fullscreen vertical lines, then I have to restart or shutdown manually.

I can try the GPU on a different case altogether with my friend, but my guess It's rather the solder points have weakened on the GPU side, or something else

I've searched quite a bit and this exact GPU (R9 280) is actually the culprit of 80% of the vertical artifacts problems in the last few years. :(

Last edited:

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
First off, we're on version 20H2 for Windows 10, so might want to see if updating the OS changes your experience. The other thing you can do is see if you can get into BIOS and observe what BIOS version you're currently on. Cross-reference the BIOS version on MSI's support page, if you have BIOS updates pending, gradually work your way to the latest version.

How old is the PSU in your system? You might want to take the GPU over to a friend or neighbor who owns a higher wattage PSU that's reliably built to see if the GPU works on their end. If it does, then swap out the PSU and see if your system is back in business.

Tried it with my friends rig, same issues. At this point seems like my GPU chip is the problem.
The card works. It boots up with clear image. No issues. I just can't play any game with It or stress it. It gives me vertical artifact lines.

How do i proceed from here? Does reballing or reflowing works for this issue? At least for a few months more lifespan?