Is my GPU dead?

leb

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I've had my system crash and BSOD for a week. When rebooting, a couple of green pixels appear in the bios. The BSOD mentions that

"Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.

*** STOP: 0x00000116 (bunch of addresses)

*** nvlddmkm.sys - (bunch of addresses)

Here is what I tried in safe mode and none of it worked:

- Uninstalled and removed driver from device manager.
- Reinstalled a couple of drivers that I had in backup and were known to work.
- Did the rename/replace of nvlddmkm.sy_ to nvlddmkm.sys.
- Tried with a different copy of my OS from a backup drive.

However it boots with Windows 7 Ultimate's generic display drivers (the ones when I uninstall the device and restarts), and I can up the resolution to 1280x800. It only fails once I install any nvidia ones.

So is the card dead? Is there anything else I could try as I don't have a second GPU else I would have tried it. Why would it only fail with nvidia drivers and not windows?

Thanks!

Solution
Have you tried loading older NVIDIA drivers? That can sometimes solve problems. But what you describe sounds a bit more hardware-caused.

Can you boot from a recovery disk (not your backup windows but an actual win PE)?

Might just be corrupted system files. Can happen due to disk failure. I would start looking into that first and run diagnostics on your system and check your system disk from win PE.

Timstertimster

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
Have you tried loading older NVIDIA drivers? That can sometimes solve problems. But what you describe sounds a bit more hardware-caused.

Can you boot from a recovery disk (not your backup windows but an actual win PE)?

Might just be corrupted system files. Can happen due to disk failure. I would start looking into that first and run diagnostics on your system and check your system disk from win PE.

Solution