Is my GPU dead?

p.radev1337

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
So far I'm pretty sure that my GPU is no more but just to be sure, I wanted to ask here.

I have:
i7 2700k
8GB 1600 ADATA
GTX 680 Palit
SSD OCZ2

Sitting on ASrock P67 Pro3
Powerd by FSP 700W gold
(Oh and the whole rig is 5ys old)

Two days ago while i was playing games and wasting my life my game suddenly froze and the screen went black for a second after that it kicked me to the desktop and told me that the PC recovered from a graphics driver crash. Has happened to me before so I didn't pay any attention to it and i continued playing when it happened again this time freezing and needing a hard reset. "Well.. *" - I said to myself and figured it might be due to the recent driver update so I rolled it back to the previous version.

"Well *"

This time more worringly. I went and uninstalled all the graphics drivers using DDU and installed a previous stable driver. It didn't fix the issue. The only change was that this time before a freeze or a crash the GPU fan increased to 100% but other than that - no change.
While I was scratching my head (it was just an itch) i noticed that my GPU fan was running louder that usual. I downloaded MSI Afterburned and check the temps. And sure enough the idle temps were a bit higher than usual at 50C while the fan speed was pretty low for the temp. I increased the speed and tested it. -

This time there were no problems.
Where it previously crashed - now it was running just like before.

Until I tried playing a more demanding game - "The Witcher 3"

Feeling smug about my "botch" I was playing on ... nothing happening .. until some artifacts popped up and the screen froze shortly after and then went black. I tried booting up but just after the "Starting Windows" animation logo(Windows 7 btw) it goes to a black screen and the MB beeps and reboots.
I could only enter safe mode. I uninstalled the graphics drivers again and tried booting it up and it sort of worked
The only downside was that the resolution was crap and the whole screen was filled with green artifacts and the GPU fan was spinning at full speed.

I popped the case open and cleaned the whole pc (I usually clean my pc every 4-5 months)
Switched the RAM sticks around, Checked all the cables, Thoroughly cleaned my GPU (it was alot dustier than usual), Checked the PCIe and tried booting it up again. No change can't get past the windows starting logo.

Tried installing a newer driver - same stuff with the artifacts and neither Windows nor the MB could detect the card.

TL;DR

Very old rig , driver crashed during game , old drivers didnt help , black screen hard reset, increased fan speed, working ok for a while, crashed hard, hasnt recovered , cleaned the fairly clean pc, checked connections , graphics card no longer detected , pc with old drivers cant boot, new ones boot but dont work.

I'm not very experienced and there is probably stuff I haven't tried and that's why I'm posting here -
a final plea for help before I label my GPU and ex-GPU.

<Language, please. Thanks>

Solution
I have a 7850 GPU in my old rig. It has crashed with about the same symptoms as your GPU - Once drivers are installed it dies. I have baked it and it has worked ever since.

I wouldn't recommend trying it except as a last resort, but if nothing else has worked and you're sure it's dead, then you can't do anymore harm, and it just may work.

skitszo

Honorable
Reseat the graphics card a few times to make sure its a good connection?
temperature issues would be my next guess....

check all your basic hardware:
PSU
memory
harddrive
cables
motherboard
cmos battery
virus scans
new install if you have a spare second drive

p.radev1337

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017

Yep, Did everything except a virus scan. Might run one just to make sure.

Did a scan. Nothing found . Same issue.
By the way I want to add that the machine successfully gets through POST every time.

I have a 7850 GPU in my old rig. It has crashed with about the same symptoms as your GPU - Once drivers are installed it dies. I have baked it and it has worked ever since.

I wouldn't recommend trying it except as a last resort, but if nothing else has worked and you're sure it's dead, then you can't do anymore harm, and it just may work.

Solution

p.radev1337

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017

Yea I guess I might try it someday. I'm not sure tho I've read somewhere that it could ruin your oven.

Anyways, Thank you guys for your responses I appreciate it.

Use a toaster oven. All you need to do is heat it up hot enough and long enough to melt the solder back to making a good connection. If you're convinced that the card is dead, then it can't hurt, The worst thing that could happen is that you kill and already dead card