Is My GPU Dead?

sparda1

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Yesterday, I was using a tv as a temporary monitor for my PC, and while streaming from my Plex server (on the PC), the entire screen briefly went all garbled, kind of like green and black static "snow" on a television, the went to a black screen where it remained frozen, I rebooted my PC and was not greeted with "No Signal".

The computer was connected to the tv via HDMI and I have used this tv as a monitor before without any issues. The only difference this time, is that I had my Roku Stick plugged into another HDMI port, powered by the tv's USB. Is it possible that the Roku was responsible?

I have no integrated graphics, so I can't trouble shoot that way, but I did try re-seating the card and in a different pcie slot. I then tried swapping out for another GPU and I get a signal just fine from that, so I figure it's the card itself, which is only a few years old, which was working perfectly and showing no signs of potential failure.

Let me know if any other info is needed, hopefully someone can help shed some light on this. Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also tried completely uninstalling the graphics drivers using DDU, but I still don't get a signal.

Secs:
GPU: MSI R9 270x
CPU: AMD FX-6300
Mobo: MSI 970A-G46
RAM: 2x8GB DDR3
PSU: Corsair CX750

TRENDING THREADS