Is my GPU dead?

shadyeversince

Reputable
May 30, 2015
I have a GTX1070. Yesterday computer was fine. Woke up today, computer booted then BSOD.
Restart and I get a black screen, but computer is booting fine (I'm able to login and can hear my roccat software yell "volume up" every time I use mouse shortcut), so I remove the GPU, go into the motherboard (Asrock Z77 Pro3) and set it to Onboard graphics.

After this I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, updating and rolling back drivers but nothing works. I rolled back to a system restore where I am sure the GPU was working and nothing. Every time I reboot the computer, whatever driver I installed stops working.

I am stumped, and this is stressing me out super hard, as I cannot afford another GPU anytime soon.

Solution
can be the gpu or power supply issue. if the power supply is not outputting the right power a gpu can fail. most gpu have more then one year warranty. check with the card vendor using the gpu serial number see if it within rma. also see if your gpu may have any issues with it like bad vrm. some vensors like evga had issue with some of there gpu. if you have one of those card that may have issues contact there customer relations see if they give you a one time return.
Code 43 is often a driver issue. You said you reinstalled Windows 10, did you install the chipset drivers and graphic card drivers too, or did you let Windows do that for you?

Always download the latest drivers directly from the GPU manufacturer, which is NVidia in your case.

can be the gpu or power supply issue. if the power supply is not outputting the right power a gpu can fail. most gpu have more then one year warranty. check with the card vendor using the gpu serial number see if it within rma. also see if your gpu may have any issues with it like bad vrm. some vensors like evga had issue with some of there gpu. if you have one of those card that may have issues contact there customer relations see if they give you a one time return.

Solution

shadyeversince

Reputable
May 30, 2015

Hi there. I apologize for the late response. Is there any way I can test if the psu is outputting enough power? And how exactly would I go about checking for bad vrm on the gpu? It's an Asus GTX 1070 Expedition. Thank you in advance.

shadyeversince

Reputable
May 30, 2015
Quick update: Whenever I insert the GPU, the computer fails to power on. After I remove the GPU, it still fails to power on until I remove the PSU cable, let it be for a minute, and then power it on again. After this, it powers on like normal.