[SOLVED] Is my GPU dead?

sorcablio

Prominent
May 28, 2018
Hi, my pc specs, (build in Nov 2014)

MB: Gigabyte ga-H97-Gaming3
CPU: Intel Haswell lga1150 i3-4360 dual core + Hyper-Threading / 4 threads, 3.7 GHz
GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9270 2GB
Mem: Corsair 4Gb DDR3-1600 x 4 (16Gb DDR31600)
Storage: HDD 1Tb Western Digital Blue 7200rpm
Case: Coolermaster RC-K380-KWN1
PSU: Corsair PS-C750CX
Monitor: LG 20M35A 19.5" LED display (ONLY VGA port so using DVI mainly)

I got the red screen during gameplay. The screen that is related to GPU failures/problems however I didnt know then so after waiting a while I switched of the pc and switched on to get the blue screen. Automatic repair didn't do much and after tons of reboots and trying all options ( since I assumed then it was a windows problem) I reset the pc and reinstalled windows 10.

During this whole time I never assumed it was my GPU so my screen was always plugged in my GPU's DVI port and the AMD GPU was always plugged in. I logged in on safe mode and had green vertical lines / artefact on my screen on low resolution and on higher resolution they turned to thin horizontal green lines on dark backgrounds and purple on white sometimes

So after the attempts my C-drive was cleaned completely and Windows 10 reinstalled I checked for updates and updated everything however every time during the AMD R9270 update the screen went black and lost signal.

So a tech buddy suggested to remove all AMD drivers and try older ones after I first test if it runs on the Intel HD graphics.

I unplugged the PCIE-8pin from the AMD GPU and unplugged the monitor from the AMD's DVI port and plugged it into the pc's VGA port to run on the integrated HD 4600 graphics and it worked 100%. Clean screen, no lines and no errors.

I removed all AMD drivers again in safe mode. Plugged the PCIE-8pin of the AMD GPU back in. Plugged in the HDMI from the TV and plugged the VGA from the monitor into the AMD GPU's DVI port as usual. Switched it on and it worked again but with green lines as previously. I checked device manager. It did not pick up the AMD R9200 series at all. It shows the Intel HD 4600 and Microsoft Basic Display adapter which is probably what it was running on I assume because its not the HD gpu, its not Safe mode either but its also could not be the AMD gpu because it doesn't even read it?

So I downloaded an older driver for this GPU. Installed and again halfway through both screens turned black. I've redone this procedure with the latest driver, and older one and the oldest one I could find which date back to March 2019.

So we assume its the GPU because we cannot get it to work and because of the red screen initially and the green lines. Anyone feels it could be something else that I could test in some way? I mean the build is almost 5 years also

Last edited:
Solution
1: Check if your Sapphire Dual-X R9270 2GB Is plugged Correctly. Check the PCI-E slots, The HDMI/DVI Or whatever you using connectors.
2: Enter your BIOS, Then check your card is recognized.
3: Do a boot failure start up
4: Completly erase old drivers and then reboot
5: Tell me what happened :)

if none of these work,
exchange positions with other PCIE slots and disable the previous slot in your BIOS

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Based on what you have described, I would also replace the GPU.

Usually in these circumstances it often only comes down to 2 components, GPU, or PSU. The PSU can be at fault if it isn't supplying stable or sufficient power to the GPU, which can cause artefacts and graphical abnormnalities. If you have an old PSU (CX model) then you may want to investigate. In your case though, it much sooner sounds like the GPU.

It may be worth swapping this with a friends GPU and seeing if the issue persists, butit may be worth seeing if your GPU is still covered by warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: sorcablio

Mockingjason

Commendable
May 22, 2019
1: Check if your Sapphire Dual-X R9270 2GB Is plugged Correctly. Check the PCI-E slots, The HDMI/DVI Or whatever you using connectors.

if none of these work,
exchange positions with other PCIE slots and disable the previous slot in your BIOS

Reactions: sorcablio
Solution

sorcablio

Prominent
May 28, 2018

if none of these work,

Thanks Ill give that a try tonight