[SOLVED] Is my GPU dead?

James_396

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
Hi everyone, I'm fairly certain my GPU is dead but wanted to get some other opinions before I go out and get a replacement.

I have an Asus 980TI Strix that I purchased about 3-4 years ago. Up until recently I haven't experienced any problems with it, but the past 3 days or so it has been occasionally crashing while playing some games, leaving my screen blank and forcing me to restart my PC to get it going again. I was mostly playing indie games as well, so nothing intensive.

However, after the most recent crash & restart, my PC booted up with only one of the two monitors displaying and even then it was really pixelated. I should have taken a picture but it looked something like this: https://www.sevenforums.com/attachm...coloured-flickering-images-given-img_6901.jpg

After restarting again the graphics card won't display anymore and I had to switch to my CPU's integrated graphics.

I haven't done any GPU overclocking in the past, but I did also switch to a Z390 Gigabyte Auros Ultra motherboard about 3 weeks ago.

I don't have much experience troubleshooting these kinds of issues so any help there would greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Solution
The image/pic is too small, but from the above screenshot, this does indeed looks like a sign of a Faulty GPU. Most probably a VRAM corruption issue.

Can you check this card on some other different PC ? Have you also tried doing a CLEAN re-install of the GPU drivers as well ?
However, after the most recent crash & restart, my PC booted up with only one of the two monitors displaying and even then it was really pixelated. I should have taken a picture but it looked something like this: https://www.sevenforums.com/attachm...coloured-flickering-images-given-img_6901.jpg

The link which you have provided doesn't seem to work. It gives an Error:

The owner of this website (www.sevenforums.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/attachments/general-discussion/319814d1486627888t-screen-pixelated-coloured-flickering-images-given-img_6901.jpg).

Please provide FULL PC specs as well.

James_396

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
Sorry about that, uploaded to Imgur instead: View: https://imgur.com/a/PM6Ifjh

Full computer build:
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
  • CPU: i9 9900k
  • GPU: Asus 980 Ti Strix
  • RAM: G.SKILL Ripjams V 32GB (16GB x2)
  • PSU: Corsair HX 1000i

As for overclocking I am currently just using the default XMP setting on the motherboard with no adjustments.

Also I tried plugging the GPU into the second PCIe slot and it's still not outputting anything.

The image/pic is too small, but from the above screenshot, this does indeed looks like a sign of a Faulty GPU. Most probably a VRAM corruption issue.

Can you check this card on some other different PC ? Have you also tried doing a CLEAN re-install of the GPU drivers as well ?

Last edited:
Solution
Those things are pretty infamous for blowing mosfets or inductors on the VRM circuitry, because the reference design specified too marginal values for those. The damage is often visible and obvious, so if it's out of warranty take the heatsink off and have a look.

James_396

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
Yea, it doesn't look that bad but I guess it's enough to kill the card.

Trying the drivers didn't do much so I went out and got a card that I could return if needed and everything's working fine with the new card so going to assume the old card is dead.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Metal Messiah.