May 14, 2020
My gpu is pretty old ~6 years. About a month ago, my computer started blue screening (WHEA: Uncorrectable Error), about 30 minutes into any video game. Now it’s stopped running any games at all. The moment it starts rendering anything, it crashes.

To be clear, whenever a game is loaded, the screen turns blank as if someone unplugged the cable (I’m using HDMI), but comes back to desktop a couple seconds later. Same results when I start a stress test using FurMark. Temperatures are under 50C.

Interesting to note: I tried underclocking and boosting fan speed to 100% with ASUS GPU Tweak. When the blank screen occurs, the fans reset to automatic speed, although GPU Tweak still thinks it’s set to 100%.

Other things I’ve tried:
-DDU’d old drivers and installed newest ones from nVidia,
-Dusted the card and reseated it in the slot.

Specs:
-nVidia GTX 650 Ti
-AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
-8GB RAM
-ASUS M5A78L-M LX3
-500W power supply

So is it a dead card, or something wrong with the PSU, or something else? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Solution
Any chance you have another card, or borrow or another card to test in your system? This would help eliminate issues with the motherboard or the powersupply. If the “new” card works well under load, then it could be hardware issue with the card. On the other hand, if the problem persists with the new card, then the issue is with the other components of the system.

navask01

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
Any chance you have another card, or borrow or another card to test in your system? This would help eliminate issues with the motherboard or the powersupply. If the “new” card works well under load, then it could be hardware issue with the card. On the other hand, if the problem persists with the new card, then the issue is with the other components of the system.

Reactions: jasonnandu
Solution
May 14, 2020
Okay. Back to square one...
With the new PSU in place it started shutting down again, so now I’m trying it on another PC. As I am downloading the driver, it is shutting off again randomly even without a game/FurMark running. I think my original diagnosis was right, it’s dying...