Oct 29, 2020
The power went out while my computer was on but it was plugged into a surge protector so I thought it would be fine. When the power came back on, I tried turning it on again but I kept getting a black screen, everything else on the computer seemed to be working fine, the gpu fans were also spinning so it was getting power. I tried booting using onboard graphics as well as an old gpu and they both worked fine. I'm pretty certain that the card is gone but I'm hoping that there's something else I might be able to try.

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
was there a storm that caused this outage or just random? a if the rest of the system is fine i cant see where the grpahics card couldve got hit if the rest is alright , less the PSu sent some weird ripple voltage through that pci E 8 pin i would say try the card in another system if you have one

Oct 29, 2020
Power went out because of hurricane zeta, everything else in the system seems to be fine. i didn't notice anything wrong when I plugged my old r7 260x in but I don't have another system to test my 970 in

Oct 29, 2020
Well, ignore this post. I thought the gpu had died but turns out it was something weird with my second monitor. I still have no idea what caused it but turning it off and on again fixed it.