Question Is my GPU dead?

Jan 23, 2021
HI guys

I have a GTX 970 2GB, which might have turned into a paperweight.

When I turn on my PC, it lights up the logo and the fans spin, but there's no display. The GPU emits clearly heard buzzing sounds.

What I tried, but but hasn't worked:
Trying the GPU in a working system
Trying another GPU in this system (which worked)
Trying the other PCI-e slot
Tried new cables and all the ports

Does anyone have a solution? Probably besides baking it in the oven. 🤣

Sincerely

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Other than obvious physical damage, not really any way of diagnosing a dead card without specialized equipment and knowledge.

Used GTX970 are around $150 on ebay last I checked, GTX980 hovering around $200, and it goes up from there. Would cost hundreds to ship a card to an expert, get it diagnosed, and repaired, just not economically viable. Some RX580 were for sale as low as $400 recently, way overpriced, but affordable. Some GTX1660 Super for about $600. (At that point, try to snipe an RTX 3060)

Your testing was good, basically proved the card is the problem.

You can disassemble the card and re-build it. You never know, just moving it around and easing tension between the heatsink and board might pop something back into place.

Baking is truly a last resort, and is rather complicated to prevent parts from falling off. Rarely works, and when it does, a temporary fix since the underlying problem is likely still present.

Jan 23, 2021
Other than obvious physical damage, not really any way of diagnosing a dead card without specialized equipment and knowledge.

Used GTX970 are around $150 on ebay last I checked, GTX980 hovering around $200, and it goes up from there. Would cost hundreds to ship a card to an expert, get it diagnosed, and repaired, just not economically viable. Some RX580 were for sale as low as $400 recently, way overpriced, but affordable. Some GTX1660 Super for about $600. (At that point, try to snipe an RTX 3060)

Your testing was good, basically proved the card is the problem.

You can disassemble the card and re-build it. You never know, just moving it around and easing tension between the heatsink and board might pop something back into place.

Baking is truly a last resort, and is rather complicated to prevent parts from falling off. Rarely works, and when it does, a temporary fix since the underlying problem is likely still present.
Damn. I kinda knew the answer. Gonna try taking it apart for the experience and apply thermal paste.

Thank you for a very thorough, helpful and honest answer.

Jan 23, 2021
A quick update: I tried completely disassembling the card and reassembling with no effect.

Sold on a local marketplace for 50$. A guy wanted it for the fans.

ASK THE COMMUNITY