[SOLVED] Is my GPU dead?

Jan 23, 2021
HI guys

I have a GTX 970 2GB, which might have turned into a paperweight.

When I turn on my PC, it lights up the logo and the fans spin, but there's no display. The GPU emits clearly heard buzzing sounds.

What I tried, but but hasn't worked:
Trying the GPU in a working system
Trying another GPU in this system (which worked)
Trying the other PCI-e slot
Tried new cables and all the ports

Does anyone have a solution? Probably besides baking it in the oven. 🤣

Sincerely

Solution
Other than obvious physical damage, not really any way of diagnosing a dead card without specialized equipment and knowledge.

Used GTX970 are around $150 on ebay last I checked, GTX980 hovering around $200, and it goes up from there. Would cost hundreds to ship a card to an expert, get it diagnosed, and repaired, just not economically viable. Some RX580 were for sale as low as $400 recently, way overpriced, but affordable. Some GTX1660 Super for about $600. (At that point, try to snipe an RTX 3060)

Your testing was good, basically proved the card is the problem.

You can disassemble the card and re-build it. You never know, just moving it around and easing tension between the heatsink and board might pop something back into place...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Other than obvious physical damage, not really any way of diagnosing a dead card without specialized equipment and knowledge.

Used GTX970 are around $150 on ebay last I checked, GTX980 hovering around $200, and it goes up from there. Would cost hundreds to ship a card to an expert, get it diagnosed, and repaired, just not economically viable. Some RX580 were for sale as low as $400 recently, way overpriced, but affordable. Some GTX1660 Super for about $600. (At that point, try to snipe an RTX 3060)

You can disassemble the card and re-build it. You never know, just moving it around and easing tension between the heatsink and board might pop something back into place.

Baking is truly a last resort, and is rather complicated to prevent parts from falling off. Rarely works, and when it does, a temporary fix since the underlying problem is likely still present.

Solution
Jan 23, 2021

You can disassemble the card and re-build it. You never know, just moving it around and easing tension between the heatsink and board might pop something back into place.

Baking is truly a last resort, and is rather complicated to prevent parts from falling off. Rarely works, and when it does, a temporary fix since the underlying problem is likely still present.

Damn. I kinda knew the answer. Gonna try taking it apart for the experience and apply thermal paste.

Thank you for a very thorough, helpful and honest answer.

Jan 23, 2021
A quick update: I tried completely disassembling the card and reassembling with no effect.

Sold on a local marketplace for 50$. A guy wanted it for the fans.