Question Is my GPU dead?

Nov 20, 2022
I brought a graphic card about 2 months ago from someone and it was working fine as it should be. Until I brought a new motherboard. I tried switching the old mother board with the new one and replaced the graphics card. Turns out the motherboard required ddr4 and I had ddr3 so I switched em back then the graphics card started spinning really loudly and the monitor only detects D-SUB instead of the DP port it should be detecting but it doesn’t. Tried manually switching but nah it just put me back to D-SUB which has integrated graphics. Is my GPU dead? If so is there a way I can fix it without going to a repair.

I have a RTX 2080 Super. When I brought it from the buyer I remember on the name it said RTX 2080 Super Black gaming. Idk what black gaming means.

Nov 20, 2022
HWinfo64.

For model info about your PSU, you have to look at info label printed on PSU.
Software can not check that.
Captur3e.PNG

DavidM012

Distinguished
Supposing you turned the power off when you removed the gpu then simply unplugging it and putting it back shouldn't have damaged it unless you got some freak electrostatic discharge but probably not so presumably you disassembled your old system and reassembled it the problem might be there.

No fix well can't wave a magic wand and say abracadabra it sounds like it was working 'til you disassembled it and if science is right then if you put it back exactly the way it was it should still work.

Unless you have a way to actually test the gpu in another system we're equally in the dark. Or can inspect the system to ensure everything is exactly as it was and should be. Such as all cables properly seated. Did you plug the GPU PCI-e Connectors back in?
Do you know what they are?

Maybe also the cr2032 coin battery on the mobo is flat and it drained it's last when you powered it off, so try a new one of those.

So what is your new mobo? Sounds like you got a board with also a different cpu socket type but there's no point in looking for another cpu (socket lga 1155 which is your current cpu and board combo, doesn't have ddr 4 supported mobos) and different memory if we don't know if the gpu is working.

If the gpu is really dead you may be able to chase the warranty it depends when the original owner purchased it is it an EVGA? Here's their warranty terms

You might have a 3 year limited warranty from when it was purchased so if it was nov/dec 2019 then maybe if you can rustle up the proofs of purchases you might be able get it replaced though it could also be out of warranty by a few months. Well this is the hassle you can get into unless you buy a GPU new.

You haven't said what your power supply is, could also be relevant if it's a weak non-recommended model: PSU Tier List also here is a Chart of GPU power supply requirements (which is a bit less stringent than the psu tier list) should be at least 600w for a 2080 super however, 600w of a naff power supply could also be the problem.

Sounds like you have a proprietary dell system so it probably has a proprietary dell power supply and a proprietary dell case as well which may not fit a modern power supply easily.

So how it worked before if the power supply is inadequate? Just luck I guess. Which maybe now seems to have run out.

I brought a new motherboard. I tried switching the old mother board with the new one and replaced the graphics card. Turns out the motherboard required ddr4 and I had ddr3 so I switched em back
What was model name of new motherboard?
Did you get also a new cpu with it? Your old cpu could not be compatible with the new board.

Did you remove cpu from old board and try to install into new (incompatible) board?
You might have bent cpu socket pins (on both boards) by doing so.

Nov 20, 2022
It’s asus ASUS B550-PLUS Prime AC-HES AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard and new CPU is AMD ryzen 7 3600x it was a combo from micro center so I’m pretty sure they go together

DavidM012

Distinguished
Ok so you just need the memory, here's the memory support list for the mobo you can filter it by manufacturer for example, type corsair in the search box and hit enter or click the magnifying glass so you could get for example, CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16 and if you highlight, right click and search the part number you'll get the model name eg. corsair vengeance lpx is commonly used 2x8gb or C18 (cas 18) is a bit slower and cheaper or C14 is faster performance memory.

If you search by part number rather than model name you can't get mixed up between ddr 3 and ddr 4. Your new mobo only supports ddr 4.

Decisions, decisions here since if you buy 3600mhz memory for it, it would be more suitable for a Zen 3 cpu if you decide to upgrade the processor again later. eg. 5000 series.

So the other questions are, what is your power supply and will they fit in the case? Presumably you plan to use the amd cooler rather than an aftermarket cooler eg. vetroo v5.