Is my GPU dieing?

SkateArc

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Hello Tech Community,

i currently own a Msi GTX 970 4GB OC graphics card and lately whenever i go to watch videos from youtube and vessel mainly when the video loads to 1080P there is judder in the video, when i go to check Msi afterburner it is at 76-80C with the fans spinning at 5%, is my GPU dieing or should i turn off Msi's stupid Twin Frozr technology and just control the fans manually or is the heat not an issue? Any help appreciated.

P.S I have never overclocked the GPU.

Solution
I would first speed up the fans to get the heat under control. Nvidia cards will throttle performance to keep the card under 80*c, if your floating right around there your card will be under performing.

Fix your fans speed and heat issue first and then see what happens
Nvida cards will start to throttle themselves at 80*c. Seems msi afterburn might be screwing with the Twin Frozr technology fan settings. You can set custom fan profiles in msi afterburn to control the fans to help keep the card cooler, you will have to play with the settings to find that sweet spot between noise level and card temp.

SkateArc

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

Ok Thanks For Your Help, Just to clarify do you believe that it is the heat that is causing the problem or something else.

I would first speed up the fans to get the heat under control. Nvidia cards will throttle performance to keep the card under 80*c, if your floating right around there your card will be under performing.

Fix your fans speed and heat issue first and then see what happens

Solution