[SOLVED] Is my GPU dying? (980ti)

Mrhappy380

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Hi everyone,

Just want to seek opinions on whether my GPU (980ti) is on its way out.

Issues started about a month ago, no hardware of software changes I'm aware of. My PC would freeze randomly (gaming, browsing, working etc.) with an audio loop that usually just sounded like buzzing and then require a hard restart. No event viewer logs present. Windows would then get to the login screen and freeze immediately. It worked fine in safe mode though, and I used a driver uninstaller to remove the graphics drivers and was able to log in normally until I reinstalled the drivers, which would then result in the same freeze within a few seconds to a few minutes after.

Eventually reinstalled windows, and used an older driver and didn't have issues for a week. Then today I was playing a game and suddenly got the freeze again. Didn't update the drivers or anything. I uninstalled the drivers to allow me to actually log in without being in safe mode but within 15 mins windows auto installed a driver and got the same freeze again (even though I thought I turned off driver autoinstalls).

Got fed up and decided to swap gpus with another (older) computer. Guess what, the gpu from the other pc (older amd hd6950) ran fine, no freezes, but as soon as I booted up and installed drivers for my gpu (980ti) on the other pc it did the same freeze.

At first it seems like a driver issue, but the fact it happened on both computers (and also reading that crashing drivers can be a sign of hardware failure) makes me think it's on its last legs.

At this point should I be looking at getting a new card and sending this one off to gpu heaven or is there some way it may be saved?

Also I should note that at one point while installing the drivers the whole screen turned a shade of pink, and then another time it turned green so that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Solution
What are your FULL and compete PC specs ??

Also I should note that at one point while installing the drivers the whole screen turned a shade of pink, and then another time it turned green so that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

That might indicate some problem is there with your GPU. Most probably a VRAM issue. Though, I'm just making an assumption.

That might indicate some problem is there with your GPU. Most probably a VRAM issue. Though, I'm just making an assumption.

Solution

Mrhappy380

Honorable
May 19, 2013

Ah yes my bad. Should have included them at the start.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k
GPU: MSI GTX 980ti Gaming 6GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R 16GB DDR4 @2400MHz
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G1 Gold 650w
SSD: Samsing 970 EVO plus 1TB m2, Samsung 850 EVO 250gb sata
HDD: WD Blue 3TB
Nothing is overclocked at the moment.

I do think it is a hardware issue, but knowing me I might have missed something and would end up discarding a perfectly salvageable gpu!