Question Is my GPU dying or my monitor?

Ronnie30

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2014
Hi. I've got a GTX1080 with a sound amplifier plugged into the HDMI, and monitor plugged into the DisplayPort. Over the last month or so, I've been having an issue where the screen will go black for 1-2 secs, and this happens 1-3 times over about an 8 second period, before my monitor says there's no connection. To get image back, I have to unplug the monitor's DisplayPort from the GPU and then plug it back in.

All the temp monitoring tools tell me that my GPU is within safe limits - it never goes above 78 degrees under load. I don't get any errors that the driver is crashed and I don't see any crashes in event viewer, which makes me think that it's the monitor. However, since audio goes through my GPU also, audio continues to play while the screen is flickering, but it cuts out for about 2 secs, when the monitor eventually loses connection. This makes me think it's the GPU, but it could just be the system switching itself from 2 monitors to 1. I only have 1 monitor, but display settings sees my amp as a second monitor.

I don't have another system that I can test my GPU in, or another GPU to use in my system. Additionally, it's very sporadic; I could go 3 days without it happening, or it may happen 5 times in one day, so I'd rather not swap out my ultrawide 34" for the spare 24" monitor that I have, if I can avoid it. Is there any other way to tell which one is the issue?

Thanks

Ronnie30

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2014
you have 2 monitor on gpu so you will have to try each on in single mod if the 34 is main they the 24 as mani then if it working good use the 34 and second one and see if this black issue comes on .
I'm not using both monitors on the PC. The 24" is in a separate room, being used with my work laptop. I could try running the 34" with the laptop, but I'd rather not use the 24" with the gpu, if I can avoid it.