[SOLVED] Is my gpu dying?

Veraxu

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
So for the longest time I always had this issue where I would be playing a game and then my screens would either freeze or go completely black. Then I would have to force shut down the pc and start it back up. Well it seems to have gotten worse now. Used to it would only do this if i was playing something that was very graphics intensive or optimized poorly. Games such as anthem and other similar titles. But now its starting to bleed into even simple games like starcraft 2 and heroes of the storm that i never once had any issues with. Its made it to where alot of the games i want to play i simply cant because sometimes i can be lucky and turn the pc on for the first time and play for 5 hours. other times ill load into a mission and it crash within 5 minutes. And it used to show errors in the event viewer but now it shows literally no clue where to even start.

Heres some of the things i have tried to fix this.
Reinstall/ uninstall/ repair/ etc graphics driver. Even using the ddu method and using safe mode
Ive tried multiple registry edits that i have seen online. Such as tweaking the tdr delay to be longer and similar things. Cant remember exactly all i have tried
Ive completely wiped my pc and reinstalled windows numerous times
Watched temps which are always fine as the whole thing is water cooled and temps never go over 45c

Some side notes are that alot of these games if i go to their customer support one of the obvious things they say is is the graphics card overclocked. Well mine is. But the catch is its a factory overclocked card. I cannot turn it down more than 90mhz. Which would still be past factory settings. Also my card will only run games when i have it clocked down by 90mhz and have it overvolted by 24mv. If i dont give it that extra power and have it clocked down then it refuses to play a majority of games. it doesnt seem to want to run at any factory settings anymore without having a custom tune on precision x.

These are my pc specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU: Intel Core I7 4790k
Ram: 32gb (4x16gb) Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
Gpu: Evga Titan X Hybrid (900 series)
Psu: Cooler Master M2 Silent pro 1000w
Ssd: Samsung 850 evo 250gb
Hdd: Wd Blue 2tb

I think that sums it up. I will be glad to provide any info or run any tests needed. I just literally don't even have a single clue where to look anymore and all i can suspect is the gpu is on its way out and i got bad luck and got one that was fairly shit when it was new. cause its only 4 or so years old. Anyway thank you for your time and thank you for any help you can provide.

Solution
So, 5 years or more, for any of the older power supplies, is a pretty long stretch because they simply weren't made to last longer than that when used in a machine with the kind of rigorous demands of a gaming system or other high demand usage.

Even just BEING that old, could be enough for the capacitors to be pretty degraded by now. I think if it were my system I'd be looking to replace that first, because even if it's not specifically THE issue, it is AN issue, given the age of that unit and the somewhat expensive nature of the rest of your hardware even though it's got a few miles under it's belt in terms of the age of the platform.

While this could certainly be a graphics card or motherboard issue, I've seen a LOT of situations...

Veraxu

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
Im not sure. it may be technically by the model. But I have only had it for as long as I have had the pc. so 4 to 5 years. but im not sure how old the model in general is. never thought to look at that.

Note: yes looking now it was released in 2013. and I think I bought it like 1 year later.

So, 5 years or more, for any of the older power supplies, is a pretty long stretch because they simply weren't made to last longer than that when used in a machine with the kind of rigorous demands of a gaming system or other high demand usage.

Even just BEING that old, could be enough for the capacitors to be pretty degraded by now. I think if it were my system I'd be looking to replace that first, because even if it's not specifically THE issue, it is AN issue, given the age of that unit and the somewhat expensive nature of the rest of your hardware even though it's got a few miles under it's belt in terms of the age of the platform.

While this could certainly be a graphics card or motherboard issue, I've seen a LOT of situations just like yours that were simply due to weak or failing power supplies. That's where I'd go first, and if it turns out not to be the main issue then really nothing lost because it's a very good idea to replace that unit now, before it can potentially die and affect some collateral damage when it does.

Solution
In fact, my system is almost the same as yours, with me having a 2080 instead of a Titan X. I also have a 1000w power supply, but it's a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold and if you like having a lot of power but a quiet PC, that one will hardly spin up under gaming load.

It doesn't on my system, and it's reassuring to know these parts are powered by a unit with a 10 year warranty.