Whitecloud03

Commendable
Apr 28, 2017
Hello and thanks for cliking here.

I actually don't know if I should ask this question here or in other forum since I don't know what is happening to my computer. Let me explain its symptons:
  • I usually play while watching netflix or something in the second monitor, or playing music.
  • Some weeks ago while playing my computer started to get lags, stutter, almost freeze while opening Netflix, loading video or just looking its catalogue. At first I thought it was a codec or a driver so I updated all drivers and installed codecs. Game was fine more or less (its ArcheAge, is not a game that require a lot of, tho)
  • It did not work, so I decided to format and install again Windows 10.
  • Still with the problem, I tried to use W10s drivers (the ones it automatically downloads from Update), but Netflix was doing the same.
  • At that point I was convinced that was something happening with video, but then, when I was using spotify (web browser) happened exactly the same when it starts a new song.
  • In the beginning it started happening sometimes and after awhile, without touching anything, everything works well again.
  • So I checked cpu, gpu, ram usage. Nothing is working at 100% when it happens. Also checked latency. Everything is ok. SSD is also fine. Used memtest from Windows: everything is OK.
  • Actuallized BIOS, just in case.
  • Opened the case and checked cables and connections. Everything OK.
  • Temperatures are OK.
  • Forgot to mention that I don't do OC.
And then I'm here asking if my GPU is failing because I'm honestly not sure. Came mostly because yesterday when I was playing (also watching Netflix) my computer lagged so much that error about AMDKMDAP responding happened, my monitors went black and they connected again. After that, some mins after, everything went black and when tried to start again the computer, everything was black. My monitor couldn't find any signal so I couldn't even see BIOS message (no idea if the computer was actually working because of that).
Today the error happened again. With only one monitor, I was playing and when I went to google something, everything froze, reseted the computer and everything went black. No signal. Again reset and no signal. No idea if GPU failed or what.

So... I have an old GPU that I connected and the computer is working, but that GPU is a 5670HD that no requires much energy, so I don't know if it's the PSU the one that is dying.

Now I connected again the other GPU and it's working. And again stutters when opening Netflix or Spotify (even without playing a game). It didn't go black or restarted... yet.

My computer is this one:
  • Ryzen 1600
  • MSI B350 Tomahawk
  • Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB
  • Corsair Vengeance 8GBx2 2400
  • Cooler Master 650W Bronze
More info... I purchased this GPU in March and it was working fine until 2 weeks ago that this started. I don't see any artifacts or wrong colors.

What can it be GPU, CPU, mobo, RAM, PSU, aliens? Could someone help me, please?

Thanks for reading this post, I hope someone can help me.

Last edited:
Solution
If a different card works, then either that card is lower powered and you have a lack of sufficient power delivery from an old or poor quality power supply that is not enough to provide your RX 580 with the necessary power to run correctly, or there is an errata problem that might be corrected with a newer BIOS version for your motherboard if one is available, or it's a driver issue, OR, it's a bad card.

Probably, it's the card, but again, I've had similar problems and seen a lot of these problems with many different systems, and the cards were not at at fault.

The first thing I'd try to do is go into your browser settings and disable hardware acceleration. FF, Chrome and all major browsers have this setting, and for streaming video...

Whitecloud03

Commendable
Apr 28, 2017
Netflix, Prime Video, Youtube, Spotify...

More info: i saw that I lost some frames when playing AA. And its UI (AA's UI) is slow when opening and using it. Also now I need a lot of time to open that game, I can open it in half time with this old gpu from 2010 for example.

I don't have any other games installed because my HDD is not connected. I'm afraid that if I try to ask more power to do a test or play another game another piece is going to break. But well, I don't even know which one is failing tho

Edit: just remembered that when loading that game for example, it always stuttered a bit in the begginning. It's normal, I know a lot of players that suffers the same, seems like in the beginning it asks for a lot of energy or something. It was like that when I was using Phenom with a 270x and also when I used a 270x and Ryzen. When I bought this RX580 it never happened again... until now. And it is a lot worse than before.

Last edited:

Whitecloud03

Commendable
Apr 28, 2017
That adapter error only happened once. I can use Firefox without any problems but if I try to use any streaming website, my computer is going to work in a potato speed. And then if I keep trying to work like that, in the end i'll get that adapter error and a crash.

Once the screen goes black (which happened 2 times, one after watching Netflix and second when I tried to switch on the computer) it never comes back.

I was always using both connections for power, 8 and 6 pines. Also I updates BIOS and all drivers. Another interesting information is that I can listen music stored in my own HDD or videos and I don't have any problem with them.

As I said in my second post, I think that games are a bit slower than before also. Someone told me that the GPU is faulty for sure and I should get a refund or a new one. I'm afraid I can't explain exactly what he told me, it's something about one of the chipsets that is failing with video decoder.

PS: I don't use Intel.

I've had similar problems, that I could never resolve, with Netflix. Never had the issue with Prime video or Youtube however. Have you tried doing a clean install of your graphics drivers?

I would try ALL of the following.

If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory and SPD tabs. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

The last thing we want to look at,

for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Whitecloud03

Commendable
Apr 28, 2017
I've had similar problems, that I could never resolve, with Netflix. Never had the issue with Prime video or Youtube however. Have you tried doing a clean install of your graphics drivers?

Hi, thanks for your response.

I was talking with a friend of a friend that saw my problem and well, he is sure that the problem is that the hdcp is failing. Is not that the GPU is dying/broken is just that is not "complete". Or its inside archives corrupted (don't know how to explain it). As I said it happens with streamings and then I talked that I wasn't able to watch a movie from Netflix in 1080p using either browsers or their W10 app. And then he said "yeah, it's because what I told you, your hdcp is not working". So right now I am using this 5670HD from 9 years ago and I said "well, I don't think it can work with this one, is so old for this". He told me it should work, so I went to test it and well, everything loads in 1080.

tldr: I was never able to watch Netflix in 1080 with this 580. So yeah, my GPU came from Amazon like this. It is either the DRM is not installed or something happened. I can't update it, I mean, I already tried to do everything I could do as a normal user (update driver, bios, everything). This man said that the only thing I can do is ask for a refund or ask for a new one.
For some reason now instead of just giving me crappy resolution and bitrate, it started to block/lag/freeze my computer. What do you think about this hdcp thing?

I'm checking right now other 580. I guess I got the best 580 from them all, but I don't know what to do. Get another one, try to get a 590 (which one if I may ask?) or go to Nvidia for a... 1660? Is that 1660 better in performance?

Should I open a new thread or still use this one?

Thanks!

If a different card works, then either that card is lower powered and you have a lack of sufficient power delivery from an old or poor quality power supply that is not enough to provide your RX 580 with the necessary power to run correctly, or there is an errata problem that might be corrected with a newer BIOS version for your motherboard if one is available, or it's a driver issue, OR, it's a bad card.

Probably, it's the card, but again, I've had similar problems and seen a lot of these problems with many different systems, and the cards were not at at fault.

The first thing I'd try to do is go into your browser settings and disable hardware acceleration. FF, Chrome and all major browsers have this setting, and for streaming video in the browser or for watching video and media through things like VLC media player, this can be a problem. Also, if you don't have any third party media players installed, it would be a good idea to do so in order to be sure that you have all the latest video codecs on your machine. Even an out of date video codec can cause these kinds of problems.

Solution

Whitecloud03

Commendable
Apr 28, 2017
Nono, I already tested it. My RX580 don't have dchp installed, thats why I have issues with all streaming with DRM and I can't even watch something from Netflix in 1080 (and yes, I checked so many times that dchp from Radeon's settings is active)
I'm using an old GPU now and I can watch streamings in 1080 and listen to spotify without any problem.

Also as I said my PSU is a Cooler Master MWE 650w bronze.
650w is more than enough for a 580 that never had problems in games getting energy, only streaming with rights.

I know that this is so strange, but yeah, really: my GPU came without that dchp certificate installed.

I really really have done all you suggested about updating drivers, bios and everything (actually I said it 2-3 times already). At first I couldn't believe that my problem was something that ridiculous, honestly.

Ok, well if you're so certain it's the graphics card, then return it for replacement under it's warranty program. I'm not sure why you even bothered making a thread about something that you already had you mind made up that you knew the reason for and were unwilling to run through the recommended list of usual suspects, for. If you believe it is the card, then get it replaced or buy a new one. If the card is the problem, there is no other solution.

I find it hard to believe you have a card issue that only presents while streaming video, because in 30 years of doing this yours would be the first one I'd ever seen with that issue and NO OTHER apparent issues, but stranger things have happened I guess. I don't know what else there is to say. If you are certain, then proceed accordingly. If not, well, I dunno what to tell you since you are not willing to entertain the possibility of it being anything else. You might be right. But you might just as well be like at least a thousand other people who've come here so certain about something who left knowing they were really not that certain in the first place because what they thought was the problem turned out not to even be related.