afratafri202

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
OK so its a long story but i will write both the long and the short version.Short version first.
Short Version:My gpu hit 100C and now 5min in games like mgsv screen goes black.
Long Version
:I started playing mgsv and after quite some time it suddenly minimized and i read the notification"GPU temp exceeded threshold limit".Checked the AMD control panel and gpu is running at 98C minimized.I instantly closed the game.Then the temp came down to 80C.We all know thats not right.Turns out fans not spinning.Opened the case fans actually not spinning.Applied a little bit force on the fan and it did start to spin but struggled to spin.It would just stop after a few spins.Pulled out the gpu.Oiled the fan and now the fan finally goes back to that sweet 3000RPM.Anyway now if i play mgsv for like 5min the screen becomes blank.Can hear sound but can't do anything on the computer.So is it safe to assume that my GPU hit itself in the balls unknowingly and is about to die or at least i cant play anything gpu demanding?And also when i am not playing games and surfing the web and like writing a post for help screen doesnt go balck.Any help is appreciated.
Well it worked well for the last 2 years.
PC SPECS BELOW:
some hp elite cmt 8100 i think

i5 650
r7 260x
8gigs ram
750gig hdd
350watt hp branded psu

Solution
Oh something new happened.I was gonna run furmark as you said and I set the GPU fan speed to max I.e 3700ish RMP and within minutes the screen went black again and no furmark was running.It was idle.And when I launch mgsv after the fan exceeds 2400rpm screen goes black.And now without the game running the screen went black again at high rpm.Maybe that oil drop was a bit too big.Oh and now it gives 6 beeps on startup and google says its some pre graphics video error or something.

Yeah, sounds like your graphics card is dying. Can't say for sure if it's the oil or the prolonged heat exposure but either way looks like you might need to replace the card. Your Intel CPU should have integrated graphics, unplug your video cable from...
2 possible causes of failure are coming to mind: Oil and electronics don't mix. How much oil did you apply to the fans? Can you take it out and see if any of it splattered on the board? Other possible point of failure is the Die itself. max temp for that card is 95C, I don't know how long it remained at 100c before it crashed but it might've taken critical damage from prolonged heating. Try running a GPU stress test like unigine heaven or furmark and see if your GPU can last for 5-10 minutes.

afratafri202

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
2 possible causes of failure are coming to mind: Oil and electronics don't mix. How much oil did you apply to the fans? Can you take it out and see if any of it splattered on the board? Other possible point of failure is the Die itself. max temp for that card is 95C, I don't know how long it remained at 100c before it crashed but it might've taken critical damage from prolonged heating. Try running a GPU stress test like unigine heaven or furmark and see if your GPU can last for 5-10 minutes.
I think it ran on it for like 15min on 100C cause i was only listening to ingame tapes.They were 3min avg and i listened to about 5 or 6 i think.Am gonna try furmark now.By the way thanks for the response.Oh and the oil it was sewing machine oil and applied one drop and no it didnot spill on any circuits or anything.

afratafri202

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
I think it ran on it for like 15min on 100C cause i was only listening to ingame tapes.They were 3min avg and i listened to about 5 or 6 i think.Am gonna try furmark now.By the way thanks for the response.Oh and the oil it was sewing machine oil and applied one drop and no it didnot spill on any circuits or anything.
Oh something new happened.I was gonna run furmark as you said and I set the GPU fan speed to max I.e 3700ish RMP and within minutes the screen went black again and no furmark was running.It was idle.And when I launch mgsv after the fan exceeds 2400rpm screen goes black.And now without the game running the screen went black again at high rpm.Maybe that oil drop was a bit too big.Oh and now it gives 6 beeps on startup and google says its some pre graphics video error or something.

Yeah, sounds like your graphics card is dying. Can't say for sure if it's the oil or the prolonged heat exposure but either way looks like you might need to replace the card. Your Intel CPU should have integrated graphics, unplug your video cable from the video card and plug it into the motherboard instead (make sure to physically uninstall your graphics card first). You can test if your other components still work, I wouldn't try gaming with integrated graphics though, just make sure everything else is working.

Solution

afratafri202

Honorable
Oct 19, 2017
Yeah, sounds like your graphics card is dying. Can't say for sure if it's the oil or the prolonged heat exposure but either way looks like you might need to replace the card. Your Intel CPU should have integrated graphics, unplug your video cable from the video card and plug it into the motherboard instead (make sure to physically uninstall your graphics card first). You can test if your other components still work, I wouldn't try gaming with integrated graphics though, just make sure everything else is working.
Alright I'll check if everything else is all right.Thanks by the way.Appreciate the help.

TRENDING THREADS