Question Is my GPU (EVGA RTX 2080Ti) dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergio8234

Prominent
Jul 22, 2021
Hi everybody, recently I have been having a couple issues trying to get my computer to boot up. Whenever I do try to boot it up, I am greeted with a red VGA light. I have encountered this error a couple of time before and normally what I would do is reseat the GPU and it would work perfectly fine but a couple of weeks later, the same issue would occur so it was a constant cycle of having to take it out and reseat it to get it to work. This time now most recently I have tried the same method with no luck at all. I have tried putting it in another PCI-E slot with the same error popping up. Nothing has worked so far anymore from reseating it, to unplugging and replugging the PCI-E power cables, and trying to boot it up without connecting the Display port cable. No dice on any of these methods, the computer simply will not start up.

I have a EVGA RTX 2080Ti. As for what the GPU does, whenever I power on the computer, the top LED logo on the gpu comes on and after about 5 seconds, it shuts off and the fans ramp up to full RPM as if it was working under a heavy load.

Any clue as to if the GPU is dead? I have been wanting to test it on another PC to see if the GPU would work and maybe it could be the PCI-E slot or something else that can be faulty, but unfortunately I do not know anyone else who has a PC bench to test out my component. This is why I turned to you guys the experts to see if maybe it is the GPU that is dead.

Many thanks!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Does your CPU have integrated graphics? Your post didn't make it seem so. The other quick solution to troubleshooting the rest of the system would be a low powered GPU that is in known working condition. The ready way to test the GPU would be to drop it inside a known working and capable (PSU) system.

Outside that, you should probably consider professional, or enthusiast help and/or replacement of the system bit by bit as you troubleshoot.

It would be helpful to list your full system specs.

sergio8234

Prominent
Jul 22, 2021
Does your CPU have integrated graphics? Your post didn't make it seem so. The other quick solution to troubleshooting the rest of the system would be a low powered GPU that is in known working condition. The ready way to test the GPU would be to drop it inside a known working and capable (PSU) system.

Outside that, you should probably consider professional, or enthusiast help and/or replacement of the system bit by bit as you troubleshoot.

It would be helpful to list your full system specs.

Forgot that I realized that I should have listed my full specs until now

Motherboard: AORUS X570 Pro WiFi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x 12-Core Processor
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB @ 3600MHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support BLACK EDITION GAMING Video Card
SSD: Corsair 1TB 980 PRO NVMe SSD
Corsair 1TB 970 EVO NVMe SSD

WD_Black SN750 NVMe 500GB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x 80 Plus Gold

All was working really well, including when I did my upgrade for my GPU, CPU, and motherboard. I ensured I bought a new power supply with enough power to get power hungry system running. I had zero issues when I first installed it and did so well for the past 2 years, it was only recently that the issues began to arise out of nowhere and like I mentioned before usually reseating the GPU would fix the issue, but this time it does not want to completely boot up at all after reseating it. I need to find somebody who can let me test out the GPU on their bench and see if the same issues occur there.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Nice specs!

In this case I would consider your local repair options or, first would consider a super cheap GPU to test with.

Might be worthwhile to pull the system out of case and breadboard minimum components, reset CMOS, test for POST and then re-attach items until it doesn't boot, if it does on the first try.

sergio8234

Prominent
Jul 22, 2021
Nice specs!

In this case I would consider your local repair options or, first would consider a super cheap GPU to test with.

Might be worthwhile to pull the system out of case and breadboard minimum components, reset CMOS, test for POST and then re-attach items until it doesn't boot, if it does on the first try.
Got it will give it a try, I did forget to mention that no onboard graphics unfortunately for my system. I need to have a dedicated discrete graphics card installed or else it will still throw up the VGA red light. I'll look into seeing if I can find anybody to help me test the component and see what turns up. I do not want to have to buy another GPU at the moment especially with these insane prices going on right now.

Thank you!

sergio8234

Prominent
Jul 22, 2021
Another question now that I think about it. I recently bought a UPS because power is sometimes unreliable where I live and tends to go out a lot. I have my PC plugged into the UPS for backup. Could the UPS be a possible issue in the PC where the PSU is not able to deliver power properly to the system? This is the one I have currently

APC Back-UPS 1000VA
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apc-ba....p?skuId=6070800&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=774

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Go here:

Power Supply Calculator - PSU Calculator | OuterVision

Plug in the details and it will spit out some numbers to work from. Consider your GPU's actual clocks if aftermarket, etc. as well as CPU load and utilization. There are VAST differences in power requirement in those regards. I would consider your PSU as more than good for the system, but knowing if 1000va is enough (for the backup) would require some input that I don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.