Question Is my GPU faulty?

Sep 15, 2023
Firstly, long story short. I've been having frequent GSOD (Green Screen of Deaths), it only happens in games that are generally graphically demanding, it could happen within 5 minutes of launching a game or within a few hours of playing a game. The screen just turns green, makes a funny noise and then the system restarts. I've tried everything from resetting my PC, using DDU and reinstalling latest drivers, resetting motherboard BIOS, using MemTest86 to check for RAM issues (it passed with no errors), running benchmarks for CPU and GPU to try and see if it crashes under load, which it hasn't and temps all seem perfectly normal.

I've also noticed pixelation in darker areas of pretty much every game I've played and even during desktop usage. I wasn't sure whether or not this specific issue is related to the GPU possibly being faulty or if it's a monitor issue, but after taken a screenshot, I've noticed that it's visible so it is obviously a rendering issue. You can see the pixelation in the image below, especially to the left of the NPCs leg.

20230915192702-1.jpg

My Specs

GPU: 6950XT
CPU: 5800x3D (with Peerless Assassin 120SE)
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (+XMP)
Motherboard: MSI B550 TOMAHAWK
Monitor: BENQ RL2755 (1080p Connected via HDMI at 60Hz)

My build is less than one month old.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I've tried everything from resetting my PC
Did you recreate your bootable USB installer and then proceed to reinstall your OS?

resetting motherboard BIOS
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (+XMP)
Got a link to this ram kit? Which slots are populated with the rams?

PSU: Corsair RM1000x
How old is this PSU and what did it power prior to the RX6950XT?

Sep 15, 2023
1. No. I just reset via Windows 11.
2. A.E0 - AMD AGESA ComboAM4v2PI 1.2.0.A
3. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMK16GX4M2B3000C15-Vengeance-Performance-Desktop/dp/B0134EW7G8 (They are installed in DIMM A2 and DIMM B2)
4. The PSU is brand new, and came around the same time as the GPU from Amazon.

Also, the RAM being only 3000MHz is not brand new, and I've had it for several years actually but it has worked perfectly fine in my last system, so I'm going to say that I don't think that it's the issue.

Last edited: