Question Is my GPU fixable or will I have to completely replace it?

Aug 4, 2022
Hello,

I'm trying to diagnose and, hopefully, troubleshoot a problem I'm having with my GPU. I've added all my specs to the end of this post. Wanted to try some options before committing to buying a new card.

We had a bad lighting storm last night and upon starting my PC I started seeing small fractal pixelated tearing that comes in and out across the display. I also can't use my browsers and the computer freezes periodically. Is this the GPU artifacting or something else? I uninstalled the drivers and that fixes it, but I believe it then defaults to my motherboard? I have also tried reinstalling the drivers both through NVIDIA GeForce Experience and by downloading them directly from their web page, both times it gives me an error that the driver can't be downloaded.

Here's a link to what I'm experiencing along with a video of it in real time. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Specs -
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F (ATX) | AMD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6 Core

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 SC (Single Fan)

RAM: 16 GB, Corsair

PSU: Corsair RM850 Gold, Modular

I uninstalled the drivers and that fixes it, but I believe it then defaults to my motherboard?
your CPU doesn't have integrated graphics. so no, it would still be using the graphics card for display output.
have also tried reinstalling the drivers both through NVIDIA GeForce Experience and by downloading them directly from their web page, both times it gives me an error that the driver can't be downloaded.
try this link:
Advanced Driver Search | NVIDIA

Reactions: Jaughn_Dough
Aug 4, 2022
Those are all signs of a damaged graphics card (damaged vram).
Try downclocking your card - grapphics clock and vram clock.
Use MSI afterburner.

If that doesn't help, then replace the card.

In your browser settings - disable hardware acceleration so it doesn't use your damaged gpu hardware.
I did as instructed, turned memory and core clock all the way down, did not have an impact. The browser suggestion worked great, so that's fully operational for the time being. Seems like I'll be getting a new card then unless any other ideas end up floating in. Not surprised though, but I appreciate the troubleshooting options!