[SOLVED] Is my gpu getting bottle necked by my cpu or is my graphics card just bad?

guspowergunner

Prominent
Jan 4, 2019
Cpu:
Intel i7 7700 3.6
gpu:
Geforce gtx 1060 3gb

When I play Overwatch I usually cant get a consistent 144 frames during teamfights. Would cleaning it help because I've had it for about 8 months and during that time it has slowed down a lot. Any help is appreciated!:)

Solution
Wouldn't want to set graphics too low otherwise the cpu would have to do more. The 6GB version of the 1060 is better.

How much ram do you have and what drive is Windows and Fortnite on?

Minimum of 7200Rpm hdd. An SSD would help if Windows and Fortnite was installed on it.

8GB dual channel (2x 4GB) is better than 1x8GB. 8GB is minimum nowadays and 16GB (2x8GB) is recommended.

guspowergunner

Prominent
Jan 4, 2019

Even on the lowest graphics ?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Wouldn't want to set graphics too low otherwise the cpu would have to do more. The 6GB version of the 1060 is better.

How much ram do you have and what drive is Windows and Fortnite on?

Minimum of 7200Rpm hdd. An SSD would help if Windows and Fortnite was installed on it.

8GB dual channel (2x 4GB) is better than 1x8GB. 8GB is minimum nowadays and 16GB (2x8GB) is recommended.

Solution
a 7700 is respectable, but, is no 7700K either, running a full 900 MHz slower; not is a GTX1060 (3 GB) the fastest 1080P solution around...and certainly it is likely that neither is optimal for 144 Hz monitors.

(Perhaps a nuke and pave will resolve some driver issues if your performance was once much higher, as glitches *do* happen with Windows updates/drivers, etc..)