[SOLVED] Is my GPU getting damaged?

PrdPak

Commendable
Mar 3, 2019
Greetings,

So I had a cheap Quadro 410, for a long time it was 64bit and had 512mb VRAM, bought it for just $9 here in Pakistan.

I was getting disappointed by its performance day by day, I had it paired with a Core 2 Duo E6600 with 4GB DDR2 667mhz, After that I upgraded to an i5-2500 3.3ghz with 4GB DDR3 1333mhz, It was bottlenecking badly. So I after looking up some forums I decided to Overclock it, I took its core clock from 706mhz to 1071mhz and its memory clock from 891mhz to 1106mhz. I cranked up the fan speed to 100% and saved the settings to be loaded when I start my pc, The overclocking proved very helpful, I saw an increase of 20-25fps on most games, such as Rocket Leauge, Skyrim(OG) and other games from 2012-2014, I even managed to get GTA 5 running on the lowest settings at 60fps on 800x600 and 30fps at 1280x1024 by tweaking the settings.

But nowdays the card seems to get really hot around 80C, when I first did overclocking in previous july the temps seem to have been around 70C, the temps in my city are around 45C, but in an air-conditioned room during evening the card cools down to 73-74C.

I am going to buy an RX560 later this month and upgrade to 8GB RAM,

Just wanted to ask is my GPU dead?

Solution
Overclocks like that over long periods of time can shorten the life of components but if it is still working it's not dead. Unless it's not working anymore, no output?

Also the thermal paste might have dried up and not conducting heat as it used to. Reapplying that might bring the temps down a bit further but I suggest that you don't do it unless you have experience as you might damage the card in the process.

Another thing is that Quadro cards are not really meant for gaming. It not impossible as you've done it but not the best for that purpose.

This is a good read here.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Overclocks like that over long periods of time can shorten the life of components but if it is still working it's not dead. Unless it's not working anymore, no output?

Also the thermal paste might have dried up and not conducting heat as it used to. Reapplying that might bring the temps down a bit further but I suggest that you don't do it unless you have experience as you might damage the card in the process.

Another thing is that Quadro cards are not really meant for gaming. It not impossible as you've done it but not the best for that purpose.

Reactions: PrdPak
Solution

PrdPak

Commendable
Mar 3, 2019

sometimes when the card reaches high temps the display driver would crash and start giving artifacts.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
sometimes when the card reaches high temps the display driver would crash and start giving artifacts.

Well the crashes and artifacts mean the GPU or VRAM might be damaged.

Although as it happens when temps rise, so reapplying the thermal paste and cleaning dust etc might help.

You said you're getting an RX 560. What make model and how old is the PSU? I think recommended PSU for that card is a 400W unit.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Sapphire Pulse RX560 and I am going to upgrade the PSU to 400w as well, currently have an ACBel 350W PSU.

Those PSUs (ACBel Polytech) are horrible in terms of quality and not trustworthy.

I strongly advise you change your PSU to something of better quality as soon as possible.

Running a better GPU or any component with that PSU is very risky because when low-quality PSUs blow they take other components with them (usually first victims are motherboard and graphics card).

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Card crashing under high loads is probably indicator that it's one it's way out. Especially if it's been heavily overclocked. Or the PSU struggling to power it.

If you are going to upgrade PSU - I would jump up to 450W for the RX 560 - and get a good quality unit.

For 450W, I'd probably recommend something like these:
(I've eliminated most Antec or EVGA for example because to get the same quality, you're paying much more)

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($64.90 @ Amazon)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-10 15:35 EDT-0400

Comes with 7 year warranty

Power Supply:
Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($57.09 @ Newegg Business)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-10 15:36 EDT-0400

Comes with 5 year warranty

Power Supply:
Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-10 15:36 EDT-0400

Comes with 5 year warranty

Last edited:
Reactions: PrdPak