[SOLVED] Is my GPU or temps to high when gaming?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
Hello,
I was wondering what is a good temp for a GPU and cpu to be while gaming. I have a alienware Aurora r7, and the only way i usually check is if i click the arrow on my taskbar and there is a setting that says thermal controller. While gaming, i think my temps may be getting high. When I play fortnite, my GPU sensor says 82C, and my cpu temp says about 50-60C. Its only those that get high, my hdd sensor stays at like 23C and my pci sensor stays low as well. Is this too hot, or is there a way I can lower them? Is my PC too dusty? It does not look dusty though and i can only see a little dust inside if I look closely with a flashlight, but no dust i can see when flashlight is off. I do not know what to do to lower my temps. Is there a better app I can use to look at temps for Alienware, and should I be worried about the temps? My pc isnt that loud and it seems to be running fine performance wise.
please let me know if I should clean it, or a way to lower the temps or something like that.
Thanks

Solution
Is there a better app I can check the temps?
Not really, because Nvidia programmed their gpus to report a single number, which is the average of 3: gpu core, Vram, and VRM.
Probably the only way to get better gpu temps is to get a more airflow friendly case - that is, if you're not already running a high fan curve on the card.

ryann39

Reputable
Nov 19, 2017
Yes, VSync introduces input lag. I'd recommend against it if you've got a variable refresh rate monitor. Downclock your GPU instead.
I turned on gsync and vsync but it didn’t seem to help, my GPU temp is still high. Are there any Nvidia control panel settings that will help my GPU temp and i have also noticed that my fan speed isn’t all the way, like my GPU fan is at 40 or 50 percent and my front fan is at 20

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
If increasing the fan is enough for your cooling don't change the power limit.

And about the power limit...

f you increase the power limit, you allow your GPU to draw more power when it needs to. ONLY if it needs to! There is no harm in increasing it. Lowering the power limit below normal levels can/will have an impact on the performance of the card.

-50% means that the card can draw 50% less power than normal. +50% means the card can draw 50% more power than normal. So let's say your GPU can normally draw 200W max. If you increase the power limit with 50%, your card can draw 300W max.

What happens if the card can't draw enough power/if the power limit is too low? The GPU core clock will start to throttle and you will lose performance. and your temps will lower