Is My GPU Power Hooked up Wrong?

Woogies

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
So I have this old PC I received. I noticed it had a semi modular PSU, with four ports labeled PCIE/HDD(10pin) and two labeled HDD (5pin).

The GPU is a R9 270 and has two 6 pin power connections, which runs to a Molex splitter which runs to a 5pin (4pins being used) connector that was plugged into a portion of the PCIE port of the PSU. This doesn't seem right to me, I would think the GPU would be drawing way too much for that setup. To be fair this PC has been running without issue for 2 years, but is this setup safe?

Here are some photos

First Cable

Plugged into this

Then plugged into here on the PSU

Solution
The way it is terminated now is safe, if that is what you are asking. Basically, the one card is using half the PCIe port on the PSU. Since the R9-270 is a 130W - 140W card maxed out, half the port's capacity should suffice.

But if you can find the other cables, do it right. If not, plug the Molex directly into free Molex connectors from the PSU. I believe that PSU is a single rail unit anyway. So all +12V power comes form the same circuit.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Why not connect the molex strain to the empty hdd socket on the psu? From what i read is using the 5pin connector on the 10pin socket possible though.
I guess that what clutchc means is that why you're not using the pcie cables instead? Or are you using crossfire? Since it seems that you're already using one pcie cable already ...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The way it is terminated now is safe, if that is what you are asking. Basically, the one card is using half the PCIe port on the PSU. Since the R9-270 is a 130W - 140W card maxed out, half the port's capacity should suffice.

But if you can find the other cables, do it right. If not, plug the Molex directly into free Molex connectors from the PSU. I believe that PSU is a single rail unit anyway. So all +12V power comes form the same circuit.

Solution