Question Is my GPU running at normal speeds?

Jul 26, 2022
I recently finished my pc build, before I ordered all the parts I looked at some benchmarks for my graphics card. Now that I have my pc built I went to go test Call of Duty: Warzone. I had all my settings at the lowest settings I could get them and got about an average of 55 frames. The bench marks I looked at showed the game running way above that on high settings. I'm wondering if my pc is running at the speed it should. Here is a list of some of my parts GTX 1650 SUPER, 16 GB of ram duel channel, Asrock B450m Pro 4, and a Ryzen 3600.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fps is a responsibility of the cpu, not the gpu. Since you just built the pc, forget about games for a second and make sure your cpu is doing what it's supposed to.

That means checking to see if the ram is actually running at its rated xmp, the cpu cooler is working right, temps under a load like Cinebench are acceptable, it's not throttling down, speeds are where they should be etc.

Easiest way to check is by testing at different settings.

Run at the highest resolution your monitor can do, check the performance.
Then run at the lowest you can set, if performance increases, GPU should be the limiting factor. If it stays the same, the limit has to be somewhere else.

Or you can obviously check the load. Optimally the GPU should be sitting at 99%+ while gaming, if it isn't its held back by something else.
What can hold it back? Many things.
  • CPU can be loaded (total CPU load, but also individual cores)
  • RAM can be full
  • Memory on the GPU can be full
  • Game might have trouble loading stuff from disk
  • In online games the connection might cause it
  • CPU or GPU might throttle down from temperature or power draw

Also worth running some benchmarks and comparing your result to other people's on the same hardware. Yours should be within maybe 5-10% of others (slight differences from different temps, oc, background tasks etc. But it should be somewhat close)

So basically:
  • - test the game at different settings
  • - check that temperatures and clocks are what they're supposed to. (GPU should boost to around 1850-1900 MHz, CPU around 4.0.-4.2 GHz, depending on what you do RAM obviously depends on which you have)
  • - check the load of your parts
  • - compare benchmark results to other people with the same hardware