Question Is my GPU slowly dying from using bad displayport cable ?

david slayer

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
so, i'm wondering if it's possible for an active 20th pin on displayport to just slowly kill your gpu instead of quickly seeing artifacts and other stuff ?

i bought a *used msi armor oc gtx 1070, and a new benq xl2411p 144hz monitor almost 6 months ago, and i didn't use the included displayport cable until like May, and since then the graphics card has been acting up a lot.

I switched back to dvi-d but something is causing gpu to lose signal to monitor, and the fans go to 100%. i've also recently had a full light blue, and green screen, for all these errors i've had to just restart the computer. Some days i can play heavy gpu+cpu load games for hours, then when i get back to desktop it blacks out.

the only thing concerning i see in event viewer is application errors for DWM -desktop windows manager, Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, event id 1000.
but i don't think DWM being 'ended' abruptly could make a video card fan speed up, or monitor go out completely, because it happened last night at boot up too.
I've switched cables around, not using any adapters. today i turn it on, and it crashes, and then the board is giving me the white led. i turn it off with psu backswitch (because it just tries to turn back on itself) i unplug dvi-d and switch to hdmi, and then here i am now. So, any expert help would be amazing right now. thanks.

Specs:
Asus tuf gaming z490 plus wifi.
intel i5 10600k.
XFX 650w PSU
corsair vengeance Lpx 3200mhz
msi armor oc gtx 1070
benq xl2411p 144hz.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: how old? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining.

Where did you purchase the used GPU?

[ Note: Do not turn the PC off using the PSU back switch. That is a very last resort and continually doing so is likely to lead to file corruption. Windows needs to go through its' full shutdown process in order to prepare for the next boot. Interrupting that process with a hard power shutdown can cause any number of varying problems.]

Manually download the GPU drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Run the Window's builtin troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also run "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to find and fix any corrupted files.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

Reactions: david slayer

david slayer

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
i should've mentioned: my power supply is a 10-11 year old XFX 650w made by Seasonic. all the voltages seem correct still. +12v is 12.192, 5.0 & the 3.3v says 3.408 max which is still within spec i am reading, & drops to 3.392 i am seeing in the program HWINFO, and bios just shows them as +12v, 5v, 3.4v.
(i haven't used a multimeter yet, but planning on trying. i guess you could say heavy gaming, a little bit of video editing programs, streaming games, no mining.

i ran the stressing program OCCT. it has a psu test that claims to "stress the board, & cpu to the max" & if psu is bad etc it should crash. nothing happened after a few minutes. i tried gpu test also, and it didn't crash. cpu got hot to 80c but that's about it.

- since gpu warranty is gone, off suggestion from research, i opened it up a couple weeks ago and replaced the thermal paste, and it's been really cool, 70c max, i'm assuming i put it back together correctly..
--------------------
gpu i bought from ebay, seller has 100% positive feedback. it said no returns.

i ran sfc scannow and dism, and they say no corruption found.

i worded it wrong about the gpu backswitch. it was off, and i flipped it.
so, i will try the manufacturers driver, and troubleshooter.

i still have to try a fresh windows, hoping that will fix DWM showing up.
last night i took out cmos battery, and now running bios at stock, instead of using xmp2 - ram 3200mhz, and it still crashed this afternoon.

Ralston18

Titan
Not familiar with OCCT (full disclosure). However, without knowing the full methodology of how the stressing test(s) are conducted I can make no comment.

Are you able to test the GPU in other known working computers with working GPUs?

Or try other known working GPU's in your computer.

Determine if the problem(s) follow the GPU or stay with your computer.

Take another look at the ebay seller: how many sales, what was sold, how long ago, how many actual counted buyer responses, etc.?

What error code(s) if any occurred with respect to the "afternoon crash"?

david slayer

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
oh, it was highly recommended i was reading. i tried Realbench also.

i have 1 computer to try it on that has my old gpu ( gtx 970) suppose i can swap.
although i am slightly concerned the other pc's thermaltake 600w psu could be lower quality. (family member bought it at best buy without me)..

alright. i can only see they received 8 feedback as a seller (including my own), at least 6 months ago last time they sold something. they sold all gpus, except for a motherboard, celeron cpu, & a **12 gpu mining frame, which they sold last. it's a mix of amd & nvidia gpus sold. (i don't know if that matters to mining.) i just hope they didn't leave it out that they used my gpu for mining, they only wrote "good condition" or whatever. i suppose i could message them.

and the crash was 'normal' losing signal, gpu fan 100%, windows stays running, doesn't respond to ctrl+shift+win+b, no beep noise, no bsod. just event viewer fills up with DWM application errors galore. but then it's been running fine ever since restarting about 6 hours ago.

here is a picture link if that's allowed. (insert image wouldn't work) - almost all 123 events are related to dwm, EXCEPT a few say "SystemSettings.exe", svchost.exe, and "SystemSettingsBroker.exe"

Last edited:

david slayer

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
i had a terrible time with my computer after it worked great for 15 hours on wednesday.. something's really busted, 2 gpus won't run properly, board gives white led when using dvi-d, & displayport sometimes.
starting to think it's the motherboard, cause i got it (open box) with the pins bent, and i tried to fix them, but maybe i didn't do a good enough job. i can't find a diagram of the lga 1200 socket to see what the bent pins i have do.