Question is my gpu the problem?

henkkrakers

Commendable
Mar 5, 2017
I was watching netflix on my secondary computer. suddenly my display stops showing anything. I couldn't get my comptuer to display anymore so I do a bunch of troubleshooting including
1)replug cables.
  1. trying different monitors
  2. restarting my computer
  3. replug gpu slot and cables
  4. flashing bios
  5. reinstalling windows
  6. reseating the ram stick, also in a different slot (nearest to the cpu now)
  7. testing the psu voltages with device i have
  8. replugging 24 and 4 pin cpu connectors
  9. using a different gpu (old = gtx 770. new = amd hd 5450)
and other things I can't remember exactly all the things i did.

so reinstalling windows did allow me to eventually boot into windows properly however when i tried to install the gpu drivers my computer froze. I waited for 20 minutes for my pc to respond. so i restart my computer and it won't boot in to the OS again. So i instantly think it's either the driver or the gpu that's at fault. so I boot into safe mode and uninstall the drivers and i install another gpu I had lying around (amd hd 5450) and put that in my computer and everything worked normally again. I installed the amd graphics drivers and everything was fine. however now i have a 770 outside my computer lol. and also however now i'm thinking, is my 770 gpu broken? and how do I test whether it is broken without bricking another computer. I also question why I was able to use my broken gpu in windows that entire time up until the point I installed those new, never used before nvidia drivers. and I have another question, why did my computer randomly stop outputting video when there were no driver updates being sent out at the time (I checked dates of gpu driver rollouts and there were non being sent out the day of the problem, although they did release a driver a couple of days after and i don't know whether nvidia rollout pre download a few days before release so it could have been that).

Omg what tricky question you ask. The why-questions are all dependent on the physical layout of the PCB and components on the boards and only the manufactor is probably able to give a somewhat reasonable answer on that. It is so small, and a faulty GPU may expose many millions of slightly different symptoms, depending on what excactly (component/pcb-wise) is failing.

It's like good throwned a billion-ton rock at earth, and then ask why the heck all transporting of oil around the worl suddenly halted (lol). Just to have a scale to compare to.

Latest posts