SetrixHD

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2014
So ive been playing the new call of duty and i had noticed my GPU clock speed kept lowering itself even though i have set the GPU to run at maximum clock speed from the nvidia control panel.

The GPU in question is a watercooled Aorus RTX 2080 super. It hits 77 degrees Celsius and does not budge no matter how fast my radiator fans are spinning.
I noticed in GPU-Z that the "Perfcap reason" said "Thrm" so im guessing this means my GPU is thermal throttling?

I also have the GPU at a target temp of 88 and a power target of 140% but this doesn't seem to have any effect as it doesn't even hit anywhere near the 88 degree target.
The card stays at 77 while gaming.

I had got the GPU from OverclockersUK around 4 months ago, they assembled the waterblock to the card themselves.
This is my first watercooled PC so am i right to say that for a watercooled pc my GPU shouldn't be hitting 77 degrees Celsius?

Im really lost as to what to do, is the card faulty? do i send it back? Why is it so hot?

CPU idle temps = 30
CPU under load temps = 42 at around 55% load

GPU idle temps = 50
GPU under load temps = 77

When the card is idle the clock speed runs at the maximum which is 1650 MHz

Solution
Yes, it's thermal throttling according to GPU-z. The idle temps for the GPU is too high for a watercooled solution. If it was with air, it might have been ok for 0 rpm fans but it's certainly not for watercooling.

What is your PSU's make and model?

Can you contact overclockersUK and ask for their input on the matter? They should take a look on the GPU.
Yes, it's thermal throttling according to GPU-z. The idle temps for the GPU is too high for a watercooled solution. If it was with air, it might have been ok for 0 rpm fans but it's certainly not for watercooling.

Can you contact overclockersUK and ask for their input on the matter? They should take a look on the GPU.

Solution

SetrixHD

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2014

My PSU is the Corsair rm850x

I will contact overclockersUK, i just wanted to know if i was right and if there was anything else i could do before hand. It sucks as it looks like i will have to send it back, they didn't even include the original heat sink as i might of tried to put that on.

blasta4

Reputable
Feb 8, 2020
So ive been playing the new call of duty and i had noticed my GPU clock speed kept lowering itself even though i have set the GPU to run at maximum clock speed from the nvidia control panel.

The GPU in question is a watercooled Aorus RTX 2080 super. It hits 77 degrees Celsius and does not budge no matter how fast my radiator fans are spinning.
I noticed in GPU-Z that the "Perfcap reason" said "Thrm" so im guessing this means my GPU is thermal throttling?

I also have the GPU at a target temp of 88 and a power target of 140% but this doesn't seem to have any effect as it doesn't even hit anywhere near the 88 degree target.
The card stays at 77 while gaming.

I had got the GPU from OverclockersUK around 4 months ago, they assembled the waterblock to the card themselves.
This is my first watercooled PC so am i right to say that for a watercooled pc my GPU shouldn't be hitting 77 degrees Celsius?

Im really lost as to what to do, is the card faulty? do i send it back? Why is it so hot?

CPU idle temps = 30
CPU under load temps = 42 at around 55% load

GPU idle temps = 50
GPU under load temps = 77

When the card is idle the clock speed runs at the maximum which is 1650 MHz

hey, i have the same problem, did u find a solution ?