[SOLVED] Is my GPU toast, or is it something else?

sabretou

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Specs:
Intel Core i5 4440
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 Home 2004 Version
Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
Biostar Hi-Fi B85S3+ motherboard
Antec TruePower Classic 750W PSU

Problem:
For the past several weeks, my display would not wake from sleep mode in Windows 10. Some time later, I would get no display at cold boot, requiring me to restart the computer to get display. After this, it worked perfectly including in games. I was playing Wasteland 3 as recently as 16 hours ago.

This morning, I saw both the above problems. I considered if the DisplayPort cable is at fault, so I tried each of the 3 ports on my system, as well as trying an HDMI cable. None of them seemed to provide display.

I took out the GPU, and my system refused to boot until a random combination of CMOS jumper-switching and CMOS battery reseating. After I plugged the GPU in again, it gets no display, and the fans do not spin. Onboard works just fine, but I cannot see the GPU detected anywhere in BIOS or Windows despite it being connected and powered.

It sounds a lot like my GPU needs replacement, but I don't have an alternate GPU to test. I'm typing this from Onboard graphics now. Should I take my GPU to RMA, or is there anything else I should try first?

Solution
could you try a older gpu in to see if system detect it to made sure it is not board that is defect .

Haha, well, I only have a bad GTX 970 with me, which is giving no display (the main reason I got my 1660 Ti). I put it in and the fans on it do spin intermittently, but I get no display. On the 1660 Ti, the fans don't spin at all.

In any case, I've now given the card away for replacement, so I should get a fresh one in a couple of weeks.

Lutfij

Titan
Can you check and see which BIOS version you're currently on for your motherboard? If you have updates pending(for BIOS) then update gradually to the latest version and see if the issue is resolved.

How old is the PSU? See if you can source a donor PSU capable of delivering at least 550W of power to the entire system.

sabretou

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
My BIOS is the latest one available (from 2014). My PSU was purchased in September 2017, so it's 3 years old now. I also had a Corsair 550W from before that lying around, so I plugged that in to test according to your recommendation. It booted the system up, but would not start the GPU, so I think my GPU really is dead.

Sep 8, 2020
I am having the exact problem and after installing a new windows last night as soon as I install the amd drivers it does the no signal screen. Aswell as just after the bios screen when windows screen needs to pop up it happens.

I have a RX580 8gb

Looking everywhere for solutions but cannot find any.

Looks like a driver problem but cannot pinpoint it.
Might even be windows if you are having same problem

Sep 8, 2020
Gpu works fine when I am in safe mode or uninstalled the drivers. But as soon as windows or myself install a graphics driver I get the problem.

As soon as the no signal happens my gpu fans stop working.
Aswell as on startup it runs until the window screen should come up and the it goes black screen and says no signal and the gpu fans just stop

Help would be highly apprciated.

Specs:
Gigabyte z97x-gaming 3 motherboard
Gigabyte RX 580 8b gpu
24gb DDR3 1600 ram
Intel i5-4690k 2.5ghz
Cooler Master 700w power supply
Also running windows 10

Last edited:

sabretou

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Gpu works fine when I am in safe mode or uninstalled the drivers. But as soon as windows or myself install a graphics driver I get the problem.

As soon as the no signal happens my gpu fans stop working.
Aswell as on startup it runs until the window screen should come up and the it goes black screen and says no signal and the gpu fans just stop

Help would be highly apprciated.

Specs:
Gigabyte z97x-gaming 3 motherboard
Gigabyte RX 580 8b gpu
24gb DDR3 1600 ram
Intel i5-4690k 2.5ghz
Cooler Master 700w power supply
Also running windows 10

This doesn't seem to be the same problem seeing as your GPU is being recognised before getting to Windows. In my case, the GPU has stopped getting detected altogether, even in BIOS.

sabretou

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
could you try a older gpu in to see if system detect it to made sure it is not board that is defect .

Haha, well, I only have a bad GTX 970 with me, which is giving no display (the main reason I got my 1660 Ti). I put it in and the fans on it do spin intermittently, but I get no display. On the 1660 Ti, the fans don't spin at all.

In any case, I've now given the card away for replacement, so I should get a fresh one in a couple of weeks.

Solution