Is My GPU Too Hot?

alexhunter421

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
While playing battleifled 4 for about 25-30 minutes on ultra settings at 1080p, my gpu reached a maximum temp of 80c. Is this too hot for gaming for only half an hour?
Thanks!

Solution
probably, but most people are uncomfortable with their cards reaching 80C for lengthy periods of time, if you want to reduce temps you should open up your case and see if you can either clean it up if there's any dust, and direct airflow better (and keep clutter away from the GPU fan), if push comes to shove then get another cooler for it, because of course keeping it running at lower temps will be better for it in the long run, and will help it keep its original quality for longer periods of time.

alexhunter421

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013

I just played for another 30 min and it remained at 80. Will 80c affect the lifespan of my gpu?

alexhunter421

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013

I have an nVidia gtx 780. Would 80c allow me to use this card with its original quality for at least 4 years?

probably, but most people are uncomfortable with their cards reaching 80C for lengthy periods of time, if you want to reduce temps you should open up your case and see if you can either clean it up if there's any dust, and direct airflow better (and keep clutter away from the GPU fan), if push comes to shove then get another cooler for it, because of course keeping it running at lower temps will be better for it in the long run, and will help it keep its original quality for longer periods of time.

Solution
Have asked Nvidia about this, specifically the 780. They say anything under 90C is fine.

"Without graphics load, the temperature should be 40'C to 50'C.
With graphics load the temperature should be 80'C to 90'C"

Personally just let it run upto 90C to keep fan noise down. If 90C were an issue 1) They wouldn't let you specify a temperature target of 96C 2) It would shut off at 90C, in reality it keeps going well into the mid 90's before shutting off. 3) These things are designed for 24/7 operation at stupid temperatures, gaming for a few hours a day at 80C isn't going to do anything.

lol i wouldn't suggest letting it up to 90C, even if Nvidia says so, it's pretty much the borderline danger temp, they say anything up to 90 is fine because 90 is where it starts throttling to prevent damage, but running it at that temperature is definitely not good for longevity, imo stick to what it is now.