Question Is My GPU Too Power Hungry For My Computer? Lots of Crashes :(

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
QUESTION: Does my GPU (RTX 2060 SUPER) require more power THROUGH THE RAILS than my motherboard / pci e slot can deliver??? In theory, my 650 Watt PSU is supposed to be powerful enough. but...

My computer crashes a lot. Mostly when editing videos. But sometimes when gaming (and the games I play aren't THAT demanding).

When it crashes, the computer just shuts down instantly. No BSOD. It just shuts down.

Normally I have to wait 10 minutes before I can even boot up again. (Although i just discovered that if I unplug the power cord for a minute, then plug it back in, then I can boot up after only one minute.)

Anyway, video card is an Nvidia RTX 2060 Super

PSU is an EVGA 650Watt GQ 80 plus gold.

I have an 8-pin cable plugged from the PSU directly into the RTX 2060 Super

Computer is LENOVO FM ideacentre 710-25ISH

i7-6770 (no overclocking)

Win10 64-bit, 24GB RAM

There is only one 4-Pin power cable going from the PSU to the motherboard. I can't find any other slot on the motherboard to plug in another power cable from the PSU in to the motherboard.

So is it possible that the GPU is trying to draw too much power through the motherboard?

Also, my peripherals are two spinning Hard Drives and two SSDs and they get their power directly off the PSU.

Also, I don't experience any problems if I put my old GTX 960 back in to my computer. It is only with the RTX 2060 SUPER that I get the problems.

Yes the OEM motherboard may be causing the crashes. The power supply is good enough to run the card. Did you check for a BIOS upgrade for the system before installing the new card?

You should be able to re-build the system around a standard motherboard though, the case looks like it will take a normal size ATX motherboard, maybe an mATX.

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
Yes the OEM motherboard may be causing the crashes. The power supply is good enough to run the card. Did you check for a BIOS upgrade for the system before installing the new card?

You should be able to re-build the system around a standard motherboard though, the case looks like it will take a normal size ATX motherboard, maybe an mATX.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

About how confident are you that the motherboard is the problem though? I have no problem buying a new motherboard... just I want to make sure that is the main root of the problem.

Also, is it likely the PCIe slots of a new motherboard will match up position-wise with the position of the opening on the back of the computer? (Meaning, once I put the graphics card in the new motherboard, it will stick out the hole in the back in the right place?)

And finally, are there any particular specs for the new motherboard that I need to make sure it has so that I don't have this problem again?

Thanks in advance.

My PC Hates Me

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2014
And are we pretty sure that it isn't just a bad PSU? I know the PSU and computer work fine when I am using my GTX 960. Just when using the RTX 2060 Super that I have problems.

Also, does the fact that it takes a LONG time before I can reboot if I leave the power cable plugged into the computer, while I can reboot a LOT sooner if I unplug the power cable from the back of the camera?

I wonder if the power cable or the power strip I am plugged in to has problems or isn't able to keep up with the power demand of my computer. The breaker on the power strip is NOT getting tripped, but it is just a cheapo power strip from home depot.

TRENDING THREADS