Question Is my GPU underperforming, damaged or potentially something else?

Apr 2, 2021
Hello,

So I've always struggled with what feels like mouse delay and stuttering but I've never found a solution for it after hours and hours of research.
Today, I decided to switch out my current GPU (GTX 1060 6GB) with a GTX 660, and to my surprise it seems to run better somehow...

Background Information:
  • This mouse delay and lag generally occurs when I'm at lower FPS, around 120 and below, and becomes increasingly worse the lower my FPS becomes.
  • In certain games such as FiveM, the mouse delay is a lot worse and can sometimes make the game unplayable (I usually get between 60-100 FPS).
  • I've tried too many things to list, so feel free to ask if I've tried certain things (I most likely have).

I decided to test the two GPU's in Minecraft (yes I know it's more CPU intensive, however it still had a big effect) and I noticed 2 main things:
  1. The mouse delay was basically gone with the GTX 660.
  2. My FPS was higher in some cases with the GTX 660.

Obviously this shouldn't be the case considering one is much older and a 2GB card while the other is newer and 6GB.
Here is a slightly bad comparison recorded on my phone (just to show FPS difference): Comparison - YouTube
The reason I didn't do a proper benchmark or anything is because the 660 gets much less FPS and Minecraft was a good way of showing the difference.

A few things I have thought:
  • Could my 1060 not be getting enough power?
  • Could my CPU be bottlenecking my GPU or vise versa? (I highly doubt it)
  • Could my 1060 be damaged?

Specs:
MSI GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X
Ryzen 5 1600
Corsair CX550 (550W PSU)
16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB (3200Mhz)
ASUS B350 Plus Motherboard

I would appreciate any help, suggestions or ideas!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When you state this;
I've tried too many things to list, so feel free to ask if I've tried certain things (I most likely have).
This will only lead to an unnecessary back and forth and more brain cells being turned into spaghetti on your end. This is why we ask people to state what they've done so we're not repeating things(and wasting time/resources).

How old is the PSU in your build? Which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? What driver version are you working with for the GPU? Did you use DDU prior to dropping the GTX660 in? What OS version are you on(assuming you're on Windows 10)?

Apr 2, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When you state this;
I've tried too many things to list, so feel free to ask if I've tried certain things (I most likely have).
This will only lead to an unnecessary back and forth and more brain cells being turned into spaghetti on your end. This is why we ask people to state what they've done so we're not repeating things(and wasting time/resources).

How old is the PSU in your build? Which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? What driver version are you working with for the GPU? Did you use DDU prior to dropping the GTX660 in? What OS version are you on(assuming you're on Windows 10)?
Yeah I understand sorry, I should have provided a lot more information.

Some things I've tried (can't think of everything but these are some of the main things):
  • Reset my computer countless times.
  • Tried different RAM.
  • Disabled all forms of V-Sync.
  • Tried difference mice, keyboards, mousepads etc.
  • Tried different monitors.
  • Used DDU in the past.
  • Overclocked and Underclocked my GPU and CPU.
  • Capped my FPS to below my monitors refresh rate (144hz)
  • Tried using G-Sync/Freesync.
  • Obviously used different settings in games.
Extra Information:
  • My temperatures on both my CPU and GPU get as high as 80C while playing intensive games (between 50-60C idle).
  • GPU usage is very high in certain games (100% usage on FiveM for example).
  • All components in my computer (except the RAM) are about 3 years old, however this issue has been a thing for a very long time (a year or two).
To answer your questions:
  • My PSU is about 3 years old.
  • I am on the latest version for my motherbaord (5602).
  • I am on the latest version for my GPU (465.89).
  • I did not use DDU, however I was always up to date on my 1060.
  • I am on Windows 10 Home (Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041).
At this point I'm not sure what's causing it, at first I thought it was potentially software related or something, but now that I have seen that a 660 provides a better experience (in Minecraft at least), it's made me turn more towards hardware.

If there are any benchmarks, tests or anything I should perform, pleases let me know, but from knowledge most of them return with relatively good results.