Question Is my graphic card dead?

darkrosez

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
I was playing a game, then my pc suddenly showed a bunch of vertical grey lines and crashed. When I restarted my pc, I see the blue windows logo and then it just shows a black screen and I can't do anything. I can boot into bios and see the screen and was even able to factory reset and get into desktop with nothing installed, but once windows installs the drivers my screen immediately goes black and stays like that even when I reboot. In the device manager I see that it's using Microsoft basic display adapter drivers and when I try to install amd drivers it goes black. I did OC the gpu core clock 900 to 920mhz and memory 1200 to 1300mhz and also the power limit to 5%. I never touched the voltage. I have gotten the grey vertical lines before due to unstable oc but was able to reboot fine but this time it just stays on a black screen. This is an old pc and I had it for years and never had any issue with it until now.

Things I tried so far:
Replugging gpu, cables
Factory reset windows
Plugging gpu into a different slot
Resetting cmos

MOBO: MSI 970A-G43
CPU: AMD FX 4300
RAM:8 GB
GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7850
PSU: Corsair 600w

Last edited:

darkrosez

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
it could be best way to test on another machine maybe a friends rig more than likely the PSU has died.
Why would it be the psu? I'm able to boot into a clean install of windows but as soon as I install the amd drivers or windows tries to it goes black. If it was a psu issue wouldn't my entire pc not function?