Status
Not open for further replies.

Selwyn McDonald

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
My p.c. tries to but there is no display on my monitor.

I suspect that my graphics card may be at fault. The last time I used the p.c., it seemed that the display was breaking up.

My graphics card is a XFX GeForce GTX260, about three years old. It sits in a PCIe slot and also has two 12V connection leads inserted along the accessible edge.

If I remove the 12V connections and reboot, I can hear the hard disk booting up. However, when I add the connections, the motherboard keeps beeping on boot up.

I've checked the 900W power supply and the output voltages seem fine.

On the basis of the above, is my problem likely to be the graphics card? Anything I can try before I buy a new card?

For a replacement, I was considering a EVGA 1GB GeForce GTS 450 from Scan. Would this be a decent like-for-like replacement?

Thanks

Solution
Does the display break up look anything like any of these?

http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

If so it might the card.

Different cards draw different amounts of power, the more powerful the card, the more juice it needs (there are other considerations such as age with older cards being less efficient than newer ones).
The PCI-E slot can supply 70 Watts, so any card that needs more will need one or two extra leads, depending on its maximum draw, hence the extra connections.

Usually, if the card is n't getting enough power it'll beep, which may be what your system is telling you, which could indicate a failing powersupply.

Most cards come packaged with molex/PCI-E adaptors like this...

cl-scott

Honorable
That beeping could very well be significant. There should be a pattern to it, which you can then look up and compare against your motherboard manual to find out exactly what it is telling you is wrong. Granted a 260 is pretty old, so if you want to upgrade a 450 would probably be a decent jump, but I would first look up that beep code and make sure it's not a sign of something more ominous before buying anything.

Selwyn McDonald

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

The beeping stops if I boot up with the card removed. Hope that this isn't anything major!

Will try and locate the manual.

Thank you.

Selwyn McDonald

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

Unfortunately, I haven't got another p.c. containing a 850W PSU with two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

This morning I 'borrowed' a low-power PCIe graphics card (GeForce 8600GS) from my daughter's p.c. It does not require the supplementary power connectors to run. I fitted the 8600GS in my p.c. instead of the suspect GTX260.

My p.c. now boots up so I am operational. :) However, one of the 5V power leads for my SATA HDD does not appear to be working. I can use another 5V output from the PSU (850W Enermax Revolution 85+) but it does suggest that I have a power supply issue as well as graphics card issue. :??:

So the p.c. is up and running and all the drives appear to be working properly. I don't really want to use it in a state of semi-repair though in case a further power supply problem messes up a drive.

New graphics card AND new 850W power supply? This could become expensive!

Selwyn McDonald

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

You mean for the two 12V PCIe six-pin connections?

My supply is an Enermax Revolution 85+. It has 'hard-wired' 12V connectors and optional plug-in 12V connectors (see output connectors in this picture: http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2008/09/first-look-enermax-revolution-85-psu/1-8.jpg)

I tried both the hard-wired and the plug-in leads. Couldn't get the GTX260 to work with either unfortunately.

What are the 12V connections for? Not all graphics cards have them. Will the GTX260 work at reduced spec without the 12V connections?

Does the display break up look anything like any of these?

http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

If so it might the card.

Different cards draw different amounts of power, the more powerful the card, the more juice it needs (there are other considerations such as age with older cards being less efficient than newer ones).
The PCI-E slot can supply 70 Watts, so any card that needs more will need one or two extra leads, depending on its maximum draw, hence the extra connections.

Usually, if the card is n't getting enough power it'll beep, which may be what your system is telling you, which could indicate a failing powersupply.

Most cards come packaged with molex/PCI-E adaptors like this:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html
Close to the bottom of the page.
I take it those are the optional leads you're referring to?
With no 'spare' system to fault find with you're down to replacing parts, I'd start with the PSU if the molex adaptors do n't work.
Try asking nicely at our local computer shop, they might let you have it on 'sale or return'.

The GTS 450 is a step down from the GTX260:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Solution

Selwyn McDonald

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

Thank you for the link. The display break up happened the last time I successfully used the p.c., just before the problem outlined in my original post started.

From what I remember, there was a line of dots horizontally across the middle of the screen. It looked a bit like the dots in this picture: http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/de_dust20002.jpg which suggest that the Video RAM is the problem. I will test the motherboard RAM just to make sure.

That's a good tip. I didn't know about those converters. I'll have a scout around.

If I have to make purchases, probably my best bet is to buy a replacement PSU first. Then check the new PSU with the suspect GTX260. Then buy a new graphics card if necessary.

Thanks for your support.

[Disappointing that the Enermax has failed after only three years of moderate use. It cost £160 (US$ 250) new in 2009.]

If you do n't have a nice, helpful local shop (as I do :) ), do n't forget the Distance Selling Regulations-you can return an item purchased off the 'net within-I think-seven working days, even if it's perfect, you do NOT have to give a reason! See, not everything in the UK is bad ;)
A few useful shopping places: Scan, Misco, Dabs Overclockers, Pixmania, Ebuyer and Aria.
Unless you're running with a massive overclock and dozens of drives, 650Watts is more than enough from a GOOD maker: Corsair, Silverstone, FSP, OCZ and Antec are top notch. Do n' get a dead cheap unit: They're cheap or a reason and a duff one can destroy the entire system.

Selwyn McDonald

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

Have just ordered a 850W Corsair HX CMPSU-850HXUK from Scan. My pc contains 4 HDDs and has a eSATA external connection so I went for a bit of 'power headroom' :)

Selwyn McDonald

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

I like to conservatively power rate my requirements! :D

Corsair power supply arrived today. Fitted it and switched on.... The GTX260 graphics card still not working :(

So off to buy a new graphics card now.

Selwyn McDonald

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

Thanks coozie.

In the end I ordered a EVGA GeForce GTX480. I use the machine for video editing and this card is reportedly compatible with Adobe Preiere Pro.

Installed the new GTX480 - and everything is up and running nicely. :sol: Phew!

So I can now answer my original question: "yes, the graphics was dead."

A bit disappointing that the XFX GeForce GTX260 only lasted three years with moderate use. I have sent XFX an email.

As to the power supply, I could send the new one back but I know that one of the old outputs is dodgy. I'll have a think. Good advice about the '7 day rule' though. I wasn't aware of that before this thread.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

Do n't forget the select a 'best anwser' so the thread can be closed.
BTW, I do n't suppose, by any chance you registered the 260 for the extra supa warranty?
Shame it's been such a slog to sort it out, still, it IS sorted, so now you can bask in the Golden glow of the Olympics ;)

Selwyn McDonald

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

I did register the GTX260 for the extended warranty at the time of purchase (mid-2009). Today I raised a support ticket with XFX and had the following exchange with XFX's tech guy Shaun (edited for brevity):

Me: [ 8/10/2012 10:09:29 AM] Thanks, Shaun. I will contact the retailer about the warranty. However, I registered the product within 30 days of purchase on the XFX website. As a consequence, the website indicated "your limited warranty will be EXTENDED for the duration of your life". How does this apply if I have to go back to the reseller? Does registration extend the warranty?

[SHAUN_T 8/10/2012 10:11:39 AM] That is incorrect, the lifetime warranty only applies to certain cases within North America. Within Europe the warranty is the sole responsibility of the reseller, there is no direct warranty with XFX. If the warranty is over then Im afraid there isnt anything more that can be done as the graphics card does unfortunately seem to be faulty. Kind regards, Shaun.

So the XFX lifetime warranty does not apply in Europe. :(

I've sent Scan an email but I'm not hopeful. I can't remember the duration of Scan's warranty for the GTX260

Oops. I started this thread as a discussion rather than a question, so I haven't got "best answer" icons in the replies to click on.

I tried to change this by clicking on the edit button for my first post in the thread and then selecting the 'Question' tab rather than the 'Discussion' tab. When I clicked on 'submit' I got the message "you are not allowed to edit this post"

Is there another way to close the thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.