[SOLVED] Is my Graphics Card dying already?

May 13, 2020
So this is my first time posting on any forums like this so I apologise in advance for any mistakes I make.

I built my first PC in January this year (i'll put specs at the bottom) and was having absolutely no issues despite the usual newbie stuff. However probably about a month ago I started experiencing artifacts appearing in games and random colours and shapes on screen. For example certain things in games such as doors or a desk would become deep black or maybe shiny silver, also on Discord if i would just move my cursor over my friends list, a lot of seemingly random triangles and shapes of all different colours and sizes would appear and disappear. I looked online and figured it was something to do with my GPU temperatures .
(I was getting around 40 degrees celsius idle and about 50-55 in game)

So i installed MSI Afterburner and adjusted my fan curve to be around 90% fan speed when it reached 30 degrees celsius. And all my problems just fizzled out of existence. Now i get around 25 degrees idle and 40 while playing games but sometimes if its a particularly hot day or whatever it might reach 46-48 and the colours will come back.

Should my Graphics card be doing this at 50 degrees? Is that too hot? Have I got another issue or is my Graphics card just not working properly?

Unfortunately I can't provide any images as I'm not at home at the moment.
Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Specs:

Mobo- MSI B450 tomahawk max
GPU- XFX rx 590 fatboy oc+
CPU- ryzen 2700
CPU cooler- be quiet pure rock slim
storage- 2tb seagate barracuda compute
- 480gb a400 kingston ssd
Ram- 16gb (2x8) Corsair vengeance lpx 3200 mhz
PSU- Corsair txm gold 550w semi-modular
case- corsair spec-06

As for airflow: I have two case fans (1 intake and 1 exhaust)

Solution
If it starts showing artifacts at temps that low. I'd say there is some sort of hardware fault. As those cards can handle much higher temps. 50C is pretty cool for silicon.

You can try performing a clean reinstall of drivers. But if you can link it to temperature for certain. Drivers wouldn't make a lick of difference.

navask01

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2013
Agree with @velocityg4 – those cards are designed to run much hotter than the temps you are posting. You shouldn’t be facing artifacts at the higher temps, much less at what you are posting here.

Doubt driver reinstall would help, but wouldn’t hurt to try. Also try to reseat your GPU to eliminate bad contact patches between the PCIE slot of the MB and the GPU. Also would you have access to another system for you to test your card in, or another GPU for you to test in your system. A swap test like this would help narrow down the possible issues.

Reactions: King_V and trakkov
May 13, 2020
Agree with @velocityg4 – those cards are designed to run much hotter than the temps you are posting. You shouldn’t be facing artifacts at the higher temps, much less at what you are posting here.

Doubt driver reinstall would help, but wouldn’t hurt to try. Also try to reseat your GPU to eliminate bad contact patches between the PCIE slot of the MB and the GPU. Also would you have access to another system for you to test your card in, or another GPU for you to test in your system. A swap test like this would help narrow down the possible issues.
Unfortunately I don't own any other systems that I could use to test but I'll reseat my GPU when I get back home!

Once again thanks for the replies, I was told by a friend that this was the place to ask and you guys have definitely delivered.

TRENDING THREADS