Is my graphics card dying or am I looking at a more serious issue?

techditto

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017
I've recently started to experience an issue on my computer where I will be doing something, be it playing a game or simply browsing the web and all of a sudden the screen will go black. This if followed by my monitor beginning to auto-cycle through the inputs to try and find a signal. If there had been sound playing at the time then I would be treated to a delightfully horrible noise as it begins to loop rapidly.

When this happens my only course is to hard reset the machine as no combination of keys seem to work.

I have tried several test from stress testing my CPU, RAM, and GPU. I also erased all the graphics drivers and did a clean install. All were inconclusive although it did crash shortly after the gpu test.

I'm just not sure where to go from here in tracing down how to fix this problem and any help would be much appreciated.

techditto

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017

Does a dying GPU cause audio problems even when my audio is not being outputted through the GPU?

techditto

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017
I replaced the DVI cable I was using with an HDMI cable. I haven't crashed once in the past 48 hours. Thank you for the help. I would have never thought about the cable